Spitfire Mk XII

dennismcc

Well the Mk VIII build went well so I decided to reduce the loft insulation by building a Mk XII, I really like the looks of this Mark, the first of the Griffon engined Spitfires. Even though only 100 were built there are lots of photos and information available to build an accurate one.

I got a few bits wrong on this one, the codes are not quite in the right place, the beam antenae is slightly out of position and several other things don't quite stack up when looking at the photo of the real thing, but I am very pleased with it, as it is an improvement on the last kit that I built, which is what I always aim for.

The Paragon conversion kit is very easy to work with and apart from the air intake and cannon barrels has all the parts that you need, it is OOP now but if you can find one I throroughly recommend it, as with the Mk VIII the big stumbling block for me was the markings, for the codes I used Miracle Paint Masks, the rest of the markings are from the Eagle Cals Spitfire Mk IX sheet. I was brave on this one and used Miracle paint Masks for the upper wing roundels and apart from me using the wrong red they came out great (by my standards !).

I'm not very brave when it comes to weathering so it was kept to a minimum.

Cheers

Den

CYvqVs.jpg

TVHAsO.jpg

CaJEPu.jpg

okDkTG.jpg

V9G9qJ.jpg

Edited by dennismcc
Replaced blurred Photobucket photos

hi den, wow! in my humble opinion----for what it's worth---that is one of the most convincing airbrush finishes i have ever seen on a spit. wish i could do that mate---i'm a very jealous old man.

cheers,

dave.----- very green (and i don't mean ecologically aware)!!!!!

Thanks guys, twice to you Kev, the paint job was done with my ancient Badger 350, which I have tried to replace with an Aztec and a Badger 200, did not like either of them though so I've stuck to the old 350. The camo was completed using paper masks held off the surface of the model using Blu tac sausages, the Undersides were sprayed Medium Sea Grey, masked off, then the Ocean Grey was sprayed, paper masks applied and being careful not to spray under the masks the Dark Green was sprayed. Paint used was Xtracolor, X1 Dark Green, X3 Medium sea grey, and X6 Ocean Grey, followed up with Xtracolor matt varnish but only a thin coat as Spitfires did have a semi gloss sheen to them.

Cheers

Den

The Paragon conversion kit is very easy to work with and apart from the air intake and cannon barrels has all the parts that you need, it is OOP now but if you can find one I throroughly recommend it

I've just ordered a Warbirds Productions Mk. XII conversion, which is available in stock. See http://loru1588.tripod.com/warbirds/id8.html for details.

I thought a build of this type might be relatively unique, but here you are with a magnificent end product. Beautiful painting - any in-progress shots, by any chance? I'd love to see how you went about it.

Regards

Don Watters

Thanks, Kevin. Looks like it's a Warbird Productions product, rather than a Paragon one, so that might be what's on it's way to me. Loks a little more extensive than what I thought a conversion would entail. I understood the earlier Mk. XII's were simply a Mk. Vc converted to take the Griffon, with later models the same thing done with a Mk. VIII. The earlier Mk. Vc conversions supposedly had a fixed tailwheel (a la Mk. V), so I think I need to do a fair bit more research before I start.

Actually, that's a link to his Mk. XIV conversion. The correct link to the Mk. XII is this one!