YAK-38

Lee White

Hey guys,

just got back from enlarging the plans i'm gonna use- I've spent money, so now it's official, I guess! <_< The -38 was not a large plane, about the size of a Mirage III, but I'm still going to have to break the assemblies down so they will fit on my vac machine. This is going to be fun, as I have not been doing much building lately, and am looking forward to getting "back in the saddle", so-to-speak. Here are the plans I'll be using-

post-81-1221079486.jpg

so is this another scratch-build project in the work's? if so very cool!

Hi Rigor,

The Yak will be a scratchbuild, made along the lines of the other molds i've made, except this time i'll use balsa instead of basswood. I hope to start laminating 1/2 inch (12.5mm) sheets of balsa together by this weekend. Then bandsaw out the plan and profile, and whittle away all that does not look like a yak. It looks like I will be able to use 1/48 F-15 wings, as they are very close to the yak's in 1/32. I'll post pics as soon as I can-

Lee

Hi Lee,

I am so glad you decided to give this Yak a go :rolleyes:

I think it is good to have an other scratchbuilt project here, it gives an other chance to exchange methods and technics.

Can not wait to see your progress.

Cheers,

Loic

I'll follow this one with great interest, as this is one of my favourite planes (strange choice, I know :rolleyes: ). Good luck, mate!

If you need some material on details and stuff, give me a shout, I have some stuff on my HD and a CD or so :)

Hey Lee,

How's the Yak-38 progressing?

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Hi Greg,

I'm making some progress, but at this point it looks like a scale lumberyard- jut piles of laminatd balsa,

not much to see yet. When it begins to resemble a plane, i'll post a pic! thanks,

Lee

Hi Greg,

I'm making some progress, but at this point it looks like a scale lumberyard- jut piles of laminatd balsa,

not much to see yet. When it begins to resemble a plane, i'll post a pic! thanks,

Lee

Actually Lee, I reckon there would be a number of us who'd be interesting in that shaping process, so don't be shy about it!

Kev

Actually Lee, I reckon there would be a number of us who'd be interesting in that shaping process, so don't be shy about it!

Kev

Hi Kev,

It's taken me a while to respond, as my computer has succumbed to something called "Antivirus 2009", which I do not know anything about, other than my computer doesn't compute anymore. I have also misplaced the cable that transfers photos from my camera to the computer. I'm snapping pics, so as soon as I am able, I'll post them. Don't know if my wife will let me post pics from her computer{this one}. right now, all the balsa slabs have been glued, and the profile band-sawed .

Lee

• 2 weeks later...