I am in with my SBD 1/2 with Eduard Big Ed detail set!

49bull

I finally got all the cockpit parts completed and glued to one of the fuselage halves. I decided to take some photos of the cockpit complete before gluing the two halves together as once the cockpit is closed up it will not be possible to get pictures of the details. You can see the oxygen hoses that I made and added for the pilot draped over the seat and for the gunner hanging from the oxygen supply. These were made by wrapping a thin wire around a thicker wire, painting then bending to the deisred shape and gluing in place.

post-391-1228178300.jpg

Here are a couple more shots with three more to follow in the next posting. The next step was gluing the fuselage halves together which was a bit fiddly but not as bad as I thought it woud be. I used Super Glue to get a quick set and that worked out well. Now I need to fill the seams which are not that long, sand and then move on to the next step which will be the wings. The engine compartment is complete except for the PE trays that are under the fixed guns.

post-391-1228178619.jpg post-391-1228178633.jpg

DougN wrote,

Question - I was under the impression that the Marine SBD-1's were all NM interiors, is that correct? Beautiful work on your model so far BTW!

SBD-1's and SBD-2's had Aluminum Lacquer with Clear Anti-Corrosive overcoats in their interiors. Also no armored head rest back plate,or on the turret ring. I had asked somewhere at the beginning of this post if this was to be a Yellow Wings aircraft as I wanted to mention this, but got no reply. :lol: :lol:

Peace,

Alfonso

BTW: Sorry "49 bull" but DougN asked. Beautiful work regardless!!! :lol:

Thanks for the input and it is interesting input as I checked Detail and Scale's SBD as a reference and it states that there were minor diferences between the 1 and 3 cockpits and refers to the -3 cockpit color photos which show the chromate green interior. There is no mention that the finish was NM so that is what I went with (chromate green). The instructions also call out chromate green interior; therefore, I based my paint scheme on two references which coincided with each other. Oh well, by the time I had started posting, much of the interior was already painted and it was too late to turn back at that point in any case. Maybe I'll just have to build a Navy version or go with the Yellow wings anyway. It won't be the first time that references are wrong but I am wondering what reference you used to discoer the NM interiors on Marine Corp SBD-1's? I know Detail and Scale tends to be fairly correct.

Thanks!

Bob

Thanks for the input and it is interesting input as I checked Detail and Scale's SBD as a reference and it states that there were minor diferences between the 1 and 3 cockpits and refers to the -3 cockpit color photos which show the chromate green interior. There is no mention that the finish was NM so that is what I went with (chromate green). The instructions also call out chromate green interior; therefore, I based my paint scheme on two references which coincided with each other. Oh well, by the time I had started posting, much of the interior was already painted and it was too late to turn back at that point in any case. Maybe I'll just have to build a Navy version or go with the Yellow wings anyway. It won't be the first time that references are wrong but I am wondering what reference you used to discoer the NM interiors on Marine Corp SBD-1's? I know Detail and Scale tends to be fairly correct.

Thanks!

Bob

Bob,

I do not have my Detail in Scale book in front of me at the moment as it is packed due to my recent move from Miami, Fla. to Atlanta Ga. From what I remember though, if you look at the first couple of pages there is an overhead shot of the front cockpit of an SBD-1 or -2 that shows the aluminum laquer to good effect. I also used the walkaround book for the SBD , and the in action books by Squadron. I also had great assistance from MR. Wayne Tevlin of Yellow Wings Decals to attain the proper colors as I was working on a SBD-2 for a Yellow Wings Navy article in SAM, Scale Aircraft Modeller Magazine, at the time of my build. The Trumpeter color callouts are wrong for an SBD-1 or SBD-2 in Yellow Wings markings. They probably don't even tell you either that these pre-war aircraft had no armor plate behind the pilot or armor plate on the turret ring. It is still "Great Work" on your part and I wish I could have given you this information earlier in your build, but when I got no reply early on to my question as to this being built as a pre-war Dauntless, I figured you did not want to be bothered.

Peace and the best to you on your build, as She is looking Great regardless. :blink:

Alfonso

Alfonso,

Sorry I did not reply to your question and at that point I had already painted the interior and a number of the components so that it was a done deal on the interior color. I think I know the photo you are referring to in the Detail and Scale book which is in black and white and it never occurred to me that it was natural metal as opposed to chromate green. And the caption under the picture is the one referencing the SBD-3 color photos indicating the cockpits were very similar (except obviously for the amour plate for the pilot and gun ring and neither of these differences are mentioned) and no mention that by the way the interior was NM not chromate green. Unfortunately, I don't have the Walk Around reference and I know these have some excellent pictures. Since I have committed to the chromate green interior, I will probably paint and mark it as a Navy bird and I do have Rutman's resin SBD which I may be able to convert to the -1 (based on the small changes...I'll track down the Walk Around reference as well to get a look at the interior and the missing armour plating) and build as a yellow wings or I can always get another Trump model for that purpose; gives me an excuse to buy another!!

Again, thanks for the input.

Bob

Bob, Your welcome!!! I just wish I would have been able to have given you this info earlier. <_<

BTW:Remember that it was Aluminum Laquer with a Clear anti-corrosive overcoat for the interior and not a NMF. Also the exteriors of these Yellow Wing SBD's were finished in Aluminum pigmented Dope Laquer with Orange Yellow Wings (same as the prop tip color applied later on, which is also the color used btwn the Insignia Red and Insignia Blue tips) and not Chrome Yellow. The interior of the flaps were painted Insignia Red beginning with the SBD-2.

I apologies for giving you all this now, but if you decide to do a Yellow Wing SBD I will be more than happy to give you a break down of the colors used anytime, as I have a gang of info since I had to do the SBD-2 for the SAM article. I owe much of this knowledge to MR. Wayne Tevlin of Yellow-Wings Decals for without him much of it would have been guesswork.

Peace, and the best to you on your build, :lol:

Alfonso

Great looking pit so far, and the cockpit on the SBD-1s were Interior Green, so you don't have anything to fret about. Color pics of VMB-1 and -2 clearly show that Douglas had already started painting their interiors with Interior Green by the time the SBDs went into production and the only remaining SBD-1 confirms that Interior Green was used. Lynn Ritger used to have the photos posted on his DetailSite website showing this, so I would look there for verification.

BW

Brandon,

Thanks! I will now proceed with my original plan and go with the yellow wing USMC aircraft. Now all I need to do is find the decals I need (I think Hannat's has them) and keep going. One question, was the overall scheme in gray (as shown in the Trump color sheet) or natural metal? My thought is it was probably natural metal with the wings "yellow" (they look more orange/yellow to me instead of what I would call a true yellow). Your inputs are greatly appreciated. I'll check out the web site as well.

Bob