I am in with my SBD 1/2 with Eduard Big Ed detail set!

49bull

Here is a front view of the rear gun and a shot of the fixed guns which are very sraight forward to build. The only PE on these is the cocking handle on the back. The rear gun PE instructions are also on this poat with the gunner's seat instructions on the next post.

post-391-1222798651.jpg

post-391-1222798668.jpg

post-391-1222798699.jpg

Looks good Bob. You must be going crazy with all that pe. It looks great though. One blunder I made on the wings was to forget about the wheel wells. The kit kind of leaves some big gaps looking down the length of the wing which doesn't look right. If you are going to detail that area do it before you close up the wing.

Matt

• 1 month later...

After a bit of a hiatus, I am finally posting some more photos of my SBD-1 build which will be, eventually, a Marine Corps yellow wings bird. I am hoping to find a set of Yellow Hammer decals for the build but failing that I'll use the kit decals and supplement with the Yellow Wing stencil set. I have finished the engine and the engine compartment and the last step will be to put the three pieces together and add the last bit of Eduard PE and wire needed. I used Matt's input on the engine cylinders painting them aluminum and using "The Detailer" black to highlight the grooves which really brings out the detail. For the wire harness I used copper paint and for the Eduard details gloss black. Valve covers are gloss black and the piston rods metallic gray. The exhausts were painted rust then overcoated with Testor's metallizer burnt metal which is a very thin wash that I brushed on to get a very nice effect. Here are the pictures of the engine and compartment followed by the completed fuselage interior halves and the completed cockpit floor with the bulkheads in place. I have installed one oxygen hose and the pilots O2 hose will be added after the floor is in place as I will drape it over the seat. I added some plastic "supports" to hold the rear compartment equipment as the "beams" are "U" shaped and need something to hold them in place more effectively (otherwise, just the open end of the "U" contacts the support providing very little surface to hold the pieces in place).

post-391-1227457497.jpg post-391-1227457516.jpg

post-391-1227457530.jpg

Here is the last piece of the engine assembly and the cockpit floor. I will add at least one more post to get all the photos in and it may take another two and then it will be putting all the picess together into one fuselage half then getting the other half to line up and join the first half! This may take some jostling to get everything in the right place without causing damage!!

post-391-1227458296.jpg

post-391-1227458309.jpg

Great work Bob. It was not as difficult as I thought it would be to get the fuse together. The bulkhead for the pilot seat was fiddly but not too bad. I left out the storage deck as I would not be having the door open and that made it easier. Three hands would have been nice though.

Sweet engine! I wish the pics were bigger though. I like the exhaust. Very nice.

Be careful with the kit national insignia. They are a bit larger than what they should be. I do believe Yellow Wings makes a Marine Corps set. I used their decals and they are waaaaay better than the kit sheet. Color, size, and the stars are the right shape. Can't recommend them enough. I think I have a set with the red dots if you want.

Matt

Here are photos of the completed engine assesmbly from a few angles. I have not painted the PE in these photos so that you can see it more clearly. It was not easy getting these pieces in place!! And probably they won't even be visible when the plane is built (though I may use the clear cowling to show off some of the details).

post-391-1228065667.jpg