Typhoon Twins

jmustarde

Hi,

Great build on both of the Typhoons.

I replaced the engine fasteners that either got lost through sanding or got lost in the casting process by using thin plastic card, a Waldron punch and then a thin drill bit.

Second and third photo down on this thread shows the replacements.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=21097&st=0&p=166374&hl=crobinsonh&fromsearch=1entry166374

If you are looking for other ways then there are the Archer rivet transfers and the Nutter tools from Small Shop (this tool is amazing - particularly if you needs a lot of rivets (think 1/24th scale Hurricane that needs all the divots replacing with rivets and you can see why I bought it).

Regards

I just added a long post and then fat-fingered something and it all vanished. Here we go again....

I decided to attack the spent ammo chutes on the 1A. Originally I just filled the cannon chutes and scribed the 6 new chutes...

IMG_2505.jpg

... but I thought that looked a bit naff, so I got a big drill bit and went to work opening up the chutes...

IMG_2508.jpg

..and fitting some plastic extrusion.

IMG_2509.jpg

Magic Sculpt and Bondo brought the surface back to what it needs to be...

IMG_2511.jpg

..only to discover that I was a bit off in alignment on one side. Too bad, I'll move the panel line a bit later :)

IMG_2512.jpg

A little Mr Surfacer helps with fine filling...

IMG_2513.jpg

..and I end up with what I think is good enough chutes.

IMG_2514.jpg

I need to tweak the gun barrel openings a bit on one side and rescribe both the underneath where necessary and then I'm done on that little chutes project.

Next step will be to give the 1A a good priming and surface prep before tackling final panel line and latch restoration.

Thanks Guys. I'm having a lot of fun with resin at the moment. The MDC Typhoon, Planet 190C and Fisher Sea Fury are all wonderful kits and they're all on the bench at the moment. There's something about the imprecise nature of resin kits that makes them slightly more interesting to build.

I've had this long standing dream that I'd win the lottery (or my company would be acquired) and commission master pattern makers like Paul Fisher, Radub, Derek,Jerry and others to make limited run 1/32 models I've always wanted. This would be a total loss-making business of course because nobody would want to buy the kits I'd have the guys master! Like the Blackburn Firebrand and Skua, Supermarine Spiteful and Seafang, Fairey Barracuda.

Oh well, kinda nice to dream. Or scratchbuild!

Have a nice weekend folks. James

• 6 years later...