Typhoon Twins

jmustarde

Spent a bit of time this weekend working on the tail. Nothing to show yet.

Moved on to the canopy.

The early Mk 1A had a solid, longer aft canopy section than the later 1A.

Typhoon4.jpg

Simple ratios AC/AB gave me the correct factor to scale the Revell kit canopy.

IMG_2981.jpg

I cut a template from thin card, transferred onto plastic stock and cutout the spine for the new, elongated canopy.

IMG_2982.jpg

I cut a channel down the back of the revell canopy and glued the spine in place.

IMG_2984.jpg

I then built up a rough framework over which I'd apply Miliput.

IMG_2986.jpg

Here's the roughly finished canopy, still wet. I'm sure it'll take a while to get right, but it's a start.

I managed to get some time in this weekend. Most of you will have noticed that I don't build models necessarily from the cockpit out. I tend to start with props and undercarriage and things like that.

Anyway, here are a few picks of the progress made:

IMG_3009.jpg

Fin and rudder surgery is almost complete. I still need to add the control arms and fix the panel lines. This is the fin/rudder for the Typhoon 1A which had smaller tailplanes than the 1B. I also need to add a little rudder rib detail to the bottom of the rudder. It was lost during a bit of corrective work.

IMG_3002.jpg

I decided that the Revell tailwheel assembly was a bit naff and had a go at copying the MDC one. I stole the Revell wheel and scratch built the rest. It came out ok. Don't worry about the spread of the wheel saddle. That closes up nicely when the wheel is added. The pic shows that the MDC set needs a bit more clean-up before painting. Especially the wheel.

IMG_3004.jpg

I spent a lot of time prepping prop blades and wheels. The paragon blades were pretty good but I had to replace some hub detail that was damaged. The MDC wheels had some nasty bubbles around the bulge detail too. Most of the work went into prepping the MDC blades. The surfaces were very rough and needed a good spray coating of Mr Surfacer as part of the process.

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

I also removed the cannon ports from each wing and filled them. These will be replaced by four machine guns. Before I drill the holes, I'll have to decide how to add the shell casing chutes on the under side.

IMG_3012.jpg

That's it for the moment. Sorry it's not as organized as other posts. I just don't model that way ;)

• 1 month later...

The P-47 has been quite a distraction. I did, however, do a bit of painting at the weekend and tried to finish off the master for the Mk 1A extended canopy fairing.

Here are the two finished prop assemblies (still shiny from coats of Future) - 3-blade for the 1A and 4-blade for the late 1B.

IMG_0021.jpg

Here are the two tail wheels. The one on the right is the MDC version. The left is the copy.

IMG_0024.jpg

Here are the two main wheel types - MDC on left, Paragon on right (sorry for the crappy image).

IMG_0022.jpg

I set-up the MDC fuselage and adjusted tail assembly (smaller horizontal surfaces) with the canopy master to show what it should look like. The canopy looks a little on the small side because it's set behind the fuselage. Looks good I think. The tail sags 'cos it's not tightly attached.

IMG_0030.jpg

Trying to think of the best way to do the six ejector chutes........

Thanks guys. Actually the new extended canopy fairing looks too big the way I set it up. Once I've vacfomed the new solid section it will extend down the fuselage sides, lowering the profile a bit.

Cleaning up and building the MDC cockpit is a bit like German homework when I was in school - it's not my favorite subject and I'm not that good, but it's due this week and I want to pass the test!

• 2 years later...

Blimey, it's been over two years since I last posted on this project. Here's an update and some reasons why it takes me forever to finish anything....

Here you can see progress on the 1A. The extended, solid cockpit fairing needs to be reduced in height a bit before it's attached. Some internal framing is required and the pilot's headrest needs to change shape.

IMG_2448.jpg

IMG_2449.jpg

The resin oil coolers were quite badly molded, so I cut off the fronts and installed some mess. I'll put the front ends back later.

IMG_2456.jpg

Here's one wing reconfigured for 6 machine guns.

IMG_2452.jpg

Here's a comparison with the late 1B. That's a pretty straight forward build, although quite a bit of filler will be required on the upper wing join.

IMG_2454.jpg

And here are a few distractions that have gotten in the way of Typhoon builds....

PCM Spitfire conversion to PX XIX using old Warbirds set

IMG_2464.jpg

Revell Mosquito conversion to FB VI using Paragon set

IMG_2469.jpg

IMG_2468.jpg

Hasegawa big tail 190D

IMG_2481.jpg

Planet Models Fw 190C V-18/U-1 Kanguru Conversion Set

IMG_2480.jpg

I'll not wait so long to post more updates on the Tiffys.

Made a little more progress this weekend. I fitted the extended canopy fairing and blended it in. I'm pretty happy with the fit. Rudder is taped on for position only. I still need to add some internal framing and the pilot's armor headrest. Next major stage is to get the roof line and windscreen right.

IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

Here's a better look at the 6 gun wing line-up. I originally just scribed ejector chutes on the underside, but I've decided instead to drill them out and insert rectangular extrusion to create a more authentic look. That's next.

IMG_2496.jpg

Here's a loose formation of the 1A and 1B. 1B rudder is taped on too. Both required a lot of Magic Sculpt on the upper wing roots, but the stuff is so easy to sand that it was real easy to get the right blend. A bit of rescribing will fix the lost panel lines.

IMG_2497.jpg

Any hint/tips on restoring some of the engine cover fasteners that got lost in the sanding? I was thinking little dabs of thick super glue followed by a pin prick before it's really hard. Any others?

I also did a lot of work on the Spitfire PR XIX, but that can wait for later...

All for now. Bye all.