F-18A Hornet

Azgaron

Well, here's my attempt at spicing up the nozzles a bit! B)

f-18_hornet_modified_nozzles_640x480.jpg

Strangely it isn't until now I noticed that the outer nozzle parts have different looks on their feathers! Are there two sets with the Academy kit?

I also been trying to make a suitable tube that will be used as the missing piece of exhaust pipe!

Cheers,

Azgaron

Now that's more like it mate

as for the tube why don't you try some electrician tubing, have a look at your local hardware store and see what's available you'd be suprized hoiw much stuff you can use for modeling mate

HTH

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Now that's more like it mate

as for the tube why don't you try some electrician tubing, have a look at your local hardware store and see what's available you'd be suprized hoiw much stuff you can use for modeling mate

HTH

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Thanks mate!

I'll have a check at the hardware store! Great tip, thanks! B)

Cheers,

Azgaron

Thanks for the great pics Steve!

Those fan blades doesn't look easy to do nor does the intake!

If I understand things correctly, this is the nozzles for an operative plane, which also means that I need to make more modifications like filling the hole in the LERX, at least most of it, and I guess some more, plus another set of decals and paint scheme!

Cheers,

Azgaron

Basically yes Azgaron. The LEX has that same gap most of the way along top and bottom. The material sealing the gap is actually a fabric and rubber seal that allows the LEX to move around in flight slightly without damaging the mating metal surfaces.

The "curved" blades you see in the intakes are actually the variable geometry inlet guide vanes that sit in front of the first stage compressor blades, the have a movable flap on the trailing edge of the vane that alters the airflow into the engine. With regards to the varaible exhaust nozzle or VEN flaps, the likely reason there are two different designs is that the actual design of the VEN flaps was changed not long into the service of the Hornet and in all likelihood Academy have provided parts for both versions.

The early version had parallel flaps that basically had a straight taper from front to back, the later had curved edges that overlapped. The changeover was not allways both at the same time, indeed for a long while you would see RAAF Hornets with one of each when an engine was changed, so using both is a valid option for the late 80's/ Early 90's.

I was at 2OCU when A21-7 was delivered from the factory in 1986. Currently I am at ARDU with A21-32 and 101 are my current charges.

Yep, 24 years on and off working on Hornets....:rolleyes:

Cheers

Tony