Jump to content
ruzlkampf

Chance-Vought XF5U-1 'Flying Pancake'

Recommended Posts

Wonderful project Russ! I'll pull out a comfy chair and load up with some popcorn...oh, drat!...got a Spit to finish, and a new build to start! :rolleyes:

Well I'll drop in once in a while and have a look!

 

Good luck!

 

Cheers,

 

Azgaron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting build and source, Russ!

I'll gonna follow your build closely.

Hmmm let's search the internet for that bulgarian pdf ;o)

 

cheers,

 

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is gonna be sweeeeet!

It's such a cool looking plane and seeing what you've done before, you're going to make one hell of a great model of it.

 

greetings,

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, dadgummit! Loic's got plans and a motor, so he's armed and dangerous. ;) Whuh oh,I'd better get on the stick and glue something together! First , would like to thank everybody for their enthusiam....and Peter,A.K.A 'mgbooyv8', if you(or anybody else) want a copy of the .pdf file for these plans feel free to PM with yer addy and I'll send em to you.OK?!

So it begins; Where to start...hmmm, going to be 'making up a true story' as I go along here, so I guess I need a way to go from paper to plastic. Looked around for some low-tack adhesive to spray and get a uniform coat of 'sticky' on the styrene and saw this Elmers stuff. Whoohoo, Eureka!

This is where I started. After looking at all this stuff lying there like an ape that's looking at a wheel spinning in front of him...and not knowing what it is, I decided to do a test. Here are some of my plans, some plastic, and spray sticky stuff.

 

post-4413-1220612666.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in case ya'll are curious, here's a closer look at what paper airplane stuff looks like. As can be seen, these are cad-type drawings with center lines and interlocking slots for a (ahem ;) ) 'fool-proof' assembly.

 

post-4413-1220612784.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cut the first paper piece out, and test sprayed adhesive on styrene. Didn't melt, which is always good. After cutting the paper pattern on my plastic to shape, This is what I had.

 

post-4413-1220613192.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now comes the big test! Will it come OFF!? :huh: Hurray!, This is going to be more fun than rubbing alcohol on my nipple(s) and standing in front of an air-conditioner! Whoohoo! ;)

 

post-4413-1220613589.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazed that I haven't screwed anything up yet, I pressed on. Shrewd, thrifty, cheap ba$tard that I am, I decided to cut everything out and position it for the least amount of wastage. Here's all the structural paper patterns stuck to the styrene.

Managed to come out with a decent sized piece of scrap. I'll be using this later. I've got about $5.00 into this build so far at this point.

 

post-4413-1220613836.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cut everything out, (I won't bore ya'll with those pics :huh: ), and glued them all together. Added some strengthening strips at all the angles to keep it from moving around. Couldn't stop, I was having such a hoot...so I've already started 'deviating' from the paper plans and started adding beefier 'wing-tips'. Can't really call this assembly a wing; nor a fuselage...so I'll refer to it as 'the blob' in future reference.

Here is the 'cow plop' structure all assembled, and starting on the wheel-well assemblies. I put some of the paper plans down there so ya'll can see how I'm using these as a pattern. Really sweet, cuz these include all the LG mounting and attachment points printed on them. Niiice. ;) Here's a bottom view of the blob.

 

post-4413-1220614019.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A top view, so ya'll can check out the wheel-wells from the top. These add a lot of sheer strength to the blob, as without skinning it wants to turn 'trapazoid' right now. I'm waiting for some reference material to come in that will tell me exactly where to put my motors. Sooo, don't want to put too much skinning on yet, cause I might be hacking out some engine bays in this structure.

 

post-4413-1220614627.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Different angle of the top. Next step is to mock-up the 'pilot pod', and go around the outside edges of the blob with strengthening strips to give me something to attach the skin to and give me a better idea of the 'flow' of the dimensions. This entire AC is one huge compond curve. Not going to give too much away yet on how I'm going to be accomplishing all this stuff, just explain things as I go along. Doesn't look too much like a 'pancake' yet (more like a waffle) with all the structure exposed...but it'll come together in due time. Gotta finish my wheel-wells now, so last pic of the night. More pics as things develop! Later, Russ

 

post-4413-1220615405.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent progress Russ! I am enjoying watching the play-by-play on this one. Who knows- I may even give this sort of thing a try down the road. Keep those WIP pics coming!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Rigor

Go Russ, this is a very neat project and different too :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...