Trumpeter SBD-3

big matt

Got the thing painted and can't wait to get her finished. From what I understand, these airplanes had only been on board for a couple of months prior to Midway so I have to refrain from too much fading or weathering. Just a little though as it is my favorite part. That will come next.

sbdwip5007.jpg

sbdwip5009.jpg

sbdwip5002.jpg

sbdwip5013.jpg

That's it for now.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Matt,

Great job! You have sailed through this kit and she looks fabulous. You are correct, these SBD'ds had not seen much deck or air time. The few pics I have seen suggest very little weathering other than light oil stains and no fading if any.

Rocky

Well, this thing is finally finished, or as finished as it's going to get. I tried to get the weathering to be subtle and am not quite sure it comes out ok in the pics. What a nice kit to build and easy too.

I settled on Lt. O.B. Wiseman's plane from the Yorktown. After returning from his initial attacks he found his ship too damaged and diverted to Enterprise. Refueled, rearmed and took off at around 1600 hrs. He was promptly shot down not long after take off and he and his radio operator were never seen again.

I studied lots of pictures trying to get the stenciling and paint correct but there just doesn't seem to be as much photographic evidence for Midway as one might think.

donesbd2016.jpg

donesbd2019.jpg

donesbd032.jpg

donesbd036.jpg

donesbd2006.jpg

donesbd031.jpg

donesbd028.jpg

This was a fun kit to do for my first group build here. I really enjoyed it and look forward to seeing everyones progress in the coming months.

Thanks for looking,

Matt

• 1 month later...