Trumpeter SBD-3

big matt

Looking forward to my first group build on this forum.

I don't know whose plane to do but I can work on it. Swede Vejtasa's -3 from the Coral Sea battle is tempting with the early colors but there is something about Midway and those Robert Taylor paintings that I can't resist.

Planning for mostly oob on this one as the kit is pretty well detailed. Maybe some decals but I am a way from needing that. Just starting out with the kit and the Squadron Walkaround I have had on the shelf for years.

sbd3wip002.jpg

Looking forward to seeing some awesome builds.

Matt

I guess I should have bought some Trumpy stock!

Kind of decided on Lt. Osborne Wiseman's B16 from Yorktown's VB-3. Reading up on Midway and it was an interesting story. Kind of makes it fun to build a plane with a story.

Hopefully get to start this thing soon!

Matt

Hmmmm, green chicks....

Oh well, back to work. Got my decals in the mail yesterday, the Yellow Wings "Midway Madness" and SBD stencils sets. Couldn't find the Yellowhammer sets. Man, this cockpit is gonna be busy.

sbd3wip013.jpg

Just adding wire and plastic to the kit parts.

and couldn't resist doing some painting too.

sbd3wip015.jpg

I didn't realize how tough it was going to be to find data about Midway planes. Just not too many clear pictures.

Thanks for looking,

Matt

Hmmmm, green chicks....

Oh well, back to work. Got my decals in the mail yesterday, the Yellow Wings "Midway Madness" and SBD stencils sets. Couldn't find the Yellowhammer sets. Man, this cockpit is gonna be busy.

sbd3wip013.jpg

Just adding wire and plastic to the kit parts.

and couldn't resist doing some painting too.

sbd3wip015.jpg

I didn't realize how tough it was going to be to find data about Midway planes. Just not too many clear pictures.

Thanks for looking,

Matt

I meant Yellow Wings!

The office looks exceptional. Very nice solder BTW.

Rocky

I meant Yellow Wings!

In fact Yellowhammer did release three sheets of 1/32 Dauntless decals, though they're now out of print:

Marine SBD-1s; manufactured by Yellowhammer Models [uSA] — product no. YHD32016; MARKINGS: 2nd Section Leader's SBD-1 "1-MB-4" of VMB-3, Spring 1941; 3rd Section Leader's SBD-1 "1-MB-7" of VMB-3, Spring 1941; Squadron Leader's SBD-1 "2-MB-1" of VMB-3, 1940; 2nd Section Leader's SBD-1 "2-MB-13" of VMB-3, late 1940; COMMENT: Includes painting masks

Navy & Marine SBD-3/4s, Pacific Theater 1942-1943; manufactured by Yellowhammer Models [uSA] — product no. YHD32017; MARKINGS: Harry "Don" Felt's SBD-3 "White 0" [Commander Saratoga Air Group], Guadalcanal Campaign, August 1942; Wade McClusky's SBD-3 "Black GC" [Commander Enterprise Air Group], Battle of Midway, 4 June 1942; Leif Larsen's SBD-3 "Black 17" of VB-5, Battle of Midway, 4-7 June 1942; Richard Best's SBD-3 "Black B1" of VB-6, Battle of Midway, 4 June 1942; Frank Hollar's SBD-4 "Push Push" (White 119) of VMSB-144, Solomon Islands, September 1943; SBD-4 "Sister" (White 16) of VMSB-233, Guadalcanal, Spring 1943

and:

Navy & Marine SBD-1/2/3s, 1941-1943 [sic]; manufactured by Yellowhammer Models [uSA] — product no. YHD32018; MARKINGS: SBD-1 "2-MB-2" of VMSB-232, Eva Mooring Mast Field, Hawaii, 7 December 1941; SBD-2 "2-B-6" of VMSB-232, Eva Mooring Mast Field, Hawaii, 7 December 1941; Howard Young's SBD-2 "Commander Enterprise Group", Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, 7 December 1941; William Hall's SBD-3 "S-8" of VS-2, USS Lexington, Battle of the Coral Sea, 8 May1942; SBD-3 "2-S-9" [experimental green camouflage] of VS-3, NAS Oakland, 30 September 1941; "Swede" Vejtasa's SBD-3 "10" of VS-5, USS Yorktown, Battle of the Coral Sea, 8 May1942; SBD-3 "41-S-16" of VS-41, Operation Torch, November 1942; AVAILABILITY: out of production; COMMENT: Includes painting masks

The five Yellow Wings sheets [32-001, 32-002, 32-009, 32-026 and 32-027] are shown and offered for sale in Yellow Wings' on-line catalog on the pages at http://tinyurl.com/6kcyqx and http://tinyurl.com/6z46gf.

Charles Metz