This Japanese Lady named Kate

Loic

Looking very good. I'll follow it closely, I am almost done cutting, filing and sanding the spars for my 'Hormone', so I would be very grateful if you make all the possible mistakes now, so I can avoid them ;)

Impressive Loic, highly impressive! The tube idea to assist with the skinning looks interesting, and I'd love to hear how effective you thought it was when it's done. You guys make this stuff look so easy, and yet I can't imagine doing it myself. ;)

Model on dude!

Kev

Hi guys,

looks like I should take a few minits to share what I have done yesterday on the Kate.

First pic is a view of the belly. everything is dry fitted only so the "joints" between the different part are not quite tight but it will give you an idea. One can still see the previous layer of "skin" by transparency as well as the wavy effect of the fuselage sides. The so called "tubing process" worked like a charm Kev! it is highly recommended. The belly is as round as can be and I would have to rework (putty / fill / sand) if it was supposed to be visible... but I do not bother much as 90% of the joint will be hidden by the Karman :lol:

I had to add a couple of styren sheet bits and pieces on the rearmost part as the Zero fuse is little too narrow there (but the last 80% are spot on!).

Second pic is a perspective view front the back; It is ment to show how the scratchbuilt parts does adjust to the rear section. Once again, the parts are taped together so the fit is not 100% aligned but it is not too bad to me :lol: .

I am not quite sure wether this is the angle at which I did shot the pic or if it is lence disotrtion but the pic show some wierd shape that are not obvious at all on the rear thing... we will see later if I need to address those a specially sand paper treatment or not :huh:

post-3547-1221496642.jpg

post-3547-1221496955.jpg

Side views now...

One pic shows the parts taped. I regret that the kit is not 100% in a plan view so i could have compared the profiles... but nevermind, no need to get some "stupid" power point comparisson to unfortunatly see that the belly is slightly too round in its rear quarter and slightly too flat in its first quarter... Some more sand paper action to be anticipated here :huh:

The other pic shows more top view so one can see the top parts of the fuse that will link both sides. They were made from several layer of styren too.

post-3547-1221497519.jpg

and to finish, front view...

If one manage to see through the dozen of tape pieces, he can see the "nice" oval shape section of the fuselage.

I honnestly am quite happy with the result considering that I started this from sheet of styren only.

This said, this process for building fuselage is not a piece of cake at all. It is not damn complicated but it is quite time consuming plus it really requires extra neat preparation, adjustment and execution in order to get something that will satisfy the most demanding among us and avoid extra painfull fill/sand action...

I do not think I managed to reach this target 100% but I did learn from my mistake so that is something plus the result is acceptable to me :huh:

Also, I think the really is a limit to the process if one wants to try some very complicated shapes or tight bends.

Hope you like it so far... I am now turning my attention into detailling the pit.

Later,

Loic

post-3547-1221498309.jpg

Loic, This is an interesting build to watch. Your approach to getting the correct shapes sounds complex, but if it is correct, then all is good. You certainly will have a one of a kind plane to add to your collection! I aways enjoy seeing the vac/scratch stuff, in addition to the basic injection kits. Did I miss the basic dimensions? length/wingspan?

Hi guys,

thanks to all for feed back. I have not been able to post any progress pic in the lattest days cause we have had storms around the area almost every evening leading me to shut the PC down to ptrevent any crash and/or loss of all the unvaluables info stocked into the HD...

Also, work did keep me very busy all the week and I tried to spent the time I had left with the familly (baby and its mum).

I have so only been able to model on very few occasions plus I am in the process of detailling the pit area which is quite slow as I am scratching every single bit...

I will so try to "report" to you guys either tonight or later during the weekend if/when weather allows it.

Mike,

the dimensions in 32nd scale are approx 31cm long x 49 cm wide. This is quite a big bird despite looking very thin (especially the fuselage). I will try to shot pics with the TBM and/or Me 110 on side so you can have a better idea of its size.

Thanks for following and cheers

Loic

Wow, those must be some 'big-time' storms Loic! :ph34r: Can't wait to see what you've got put into the interior dude! Fuse is looking good. You've got a lot work into this already! Hope ya weather those storms OK, and get a chance to work on 'the Lady' this weekend. Later, Russ

Wow, those must be some 'big-time' storms Loic! :ph34r: Can't wait to see what you've got put into the interior dude! Fuse is looking good. You've got a lot work into this already! Hope ya weather those storms OK, and get a chance to work on 'the Lady' this weekend. Later, Russ

Can't speak for France but here in TX my power flickers or goes out in just about every 'decent' thunderstorm. Computers no likey that...