This Japanese Lady named Kate

Loic

Guest canuck63

I can't be of help as far as the cowling is concerned because the kit I own depicts an early machine!If you think it could be of help I'd compare the wings and fuse to the ones of an un-built 1/48 Zero.

Cheers

Manny

Hi Manny,

thank you so much my friend, you actually have no idea how helpfull this is to me ;)

It does answer so many questins I had like was the cockpit built on the top of the wing like a Zeke or a P40, etc...

This is the most detailled info I managed to get on this area of the bird.

As far as the external dimensions and shape are concerned, I think I had managed to collect enough info but if it happen I need some checking out, I will drop you a PM.

Thanks again very much!

Cheers,

Loic

Hey guys,

been working on the bird most of the afternoon and I managed to complete starboard side of the fuselage.

I have also ripped off the "now useless" pieces of the cockpit skeleton, applied putty in between the construction pieces and sanded verything until it look smooth enough...

I shot an other couple of pics so you can see how it looks.

From top...

post-3547-1220815040.jpg

and from top again after putty and sanding action. I am not quite sur the difference is that obvious on the pics but it is quite noticable on the real thing. I would not say it is as beautifull as if it was an injection kit but that will do the job.

Next step will be to apply the final external layer of styren and cut both top ends according to plan to claim the fuselage sides built. Details (internal and external) will follow sometime later...

Thanks for following.

Cheers,

Loic

post-3547-1220815492.jpg

and from top again after putty and sanding action. I am not quite sur the difference is that obvious on the pics but it is quite noticable on the real thing. I would not say it is as beautifull as if it was an injection kit but that will do the job.

Next step will be to apply the final external layer of styren and cut both top ends according to plan to claim the fuselage sides built. Details (internal and external) will follow sometime later...

Thanks for following.

Cheers,

Loic

Awesome work, Loic. Could an A6M2 cowl be used on your kate? Flawless scratchbuilding going on here- you need to write a how-to book!! ;)

Lee

Guest canuck63

Loic,

you've got a hell of a job going on mate....if you need more pictures of the 1/48 parts or the PE let me know and If you need more info ask the guys at J-Aircraft dot com......they know everything related to WW2 J-Aircraft!

CHeers

Manny

Whoopee! Looks like you've been having a lot of fun this weekend Loic! :blink: I can visualize in my 'minds eye' what you're trying to accomplish with this technique. Yes, by having styrene for an outside skin, it will make it much easier to scribe. I used .5mm styrene to frame up my project, and it was a little too thin for that,...but I can see where it would be too thick for pulling into a curve for your fuse. I don't want to use anything thinner than that for my skinning, cause I think it would snap when I score it for scribing. You won't have to worry about that because you have a 'solid backing' for a much thinner sheet of styrene. Sweet! What thickness are you planning on using? Or are you going to build up and laminate multi-layers of thinner sheet styrene to make the curves and match the outside diameter of your Zero rear fuse?

Always interesting to watch other scratch-builders techniques, never know WHAT new things will be learned! I'm keeping a close eye on any new progress pics buddy. Wish I had some information or parts to share if it would help with your build. What is the diameter of the Kate cowling? Something tells me a Ki-43 Oscar cowl might just work. Also, because it's Nakajma, maybe some landing gear/propeller parts too? If you have a measurement of the cowl, let me know and I'll check it against the Oscar(and other kits) parts I have OK?

Looking good Loic, can't wait to see more dude! Later, Russ

Hi guys,

thanks to all of you for following and for the kind words.

Lee,

I have not checked the A6M2 option yet (despite I have an old Doyusha cowl available) as my initial thought was that it would be more straight forward to use the A6M5 part. I think it worth a check anyway and I will proceed before definatly making my mind. Ta.

Manny,

Thanks for your help so far and if I need anymore, I will let you know for sure :blink:

I have been on J-aircraft to search for info but the kate covering is limited. I guess this is mainly due to the very limited number of "survivor" aircraft if any at all. I also have 2 books dedicated to J aircraft cockpits only and man, these are big books and quite complete ones but once again, the Kate covering is very limited (actually, the available info & pics are the same in the 2 books...) due again to the lack of surviving material I guess. I may anyway try to drop them a note just in case, thanks for the tip.

Russ,

I am actually planning to use the laminated technique. it is amazing to witness how much more stiff, resistant, etc... 2 layer of 0.25mm styren sheets glued together are compared to a single sheet of 0.5mm. The thinner ones are also easier to shape, etc.. in a word, to work out. One should only take care not to trap any air bubble between 2 layers or this is going to be a big problem to solve :blink:

I also have the Ki43 in the stash including an older build of mine that I can use for spare parts (the engine will come from this one). I will check if I can use some other pieces like prop, etc... but as far as the landing Gear is concerned, this is one item I usually rebuilt from various tubing for almost every kit, including the one where the LG is acceptable... So I guess the Kate will be no exception. :blink:

Well, it was good to chat for a while but today is monday which means I am back to real world.... and I must go back to work now :P

Later!

Cheers,

loic

Guest canuck63

Is your book on the WW2 Japanese Aircraft interiors the one written by Mikesh?It does contain quite a few interesting pictures that could be of help!Further...I've got the old book by Maru and it also comes to the rescue somehow with a few detailed pictures and sketches and the ever-present(for Maru!) color drawings of the cockpit...not too much but,as they say in Italy,it's always better than a hit in the eye!

Let me know

Manny