Tamiya A6M5 Zero

Daywalker

A small update tonight. I finished wiring up the starboard cockpit side, and opened up the reflector for the right cockpit light. I wasn't happy with the ejector pin marks on the handles of the two prominant levers there either, so I removed the handles (after measuring them!), drilled out the mounting pins, and made new levers out of wire. After heating and balling up the ends with the torch, I cut them to length then installed them in the kit parts. The little kit plastic pieces with the levers removed are so tiny! Glad I was able to modify them without launching them across the room!

9-16-08001.jpg

I also sprayed the inside of the fuselage with Alclad II, then sprayed the Aotake coating in the tail gear bay. While I was masking, I cut thin strips of Tamiya tape and masked the gluing surfaces all the way around the fuse halves. The tolerances are so tight when attaching them I didn't want to risk sanding one too much and having a gap to fill that cleaning up would damage.

9-11-08.jpg

9-16-08002.jpg

Hoping to wire up the Port side soon so we can paint the cockpit!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long to get some pics! Been very busy lately and am now just getting back to the Zero. I spent this afternoon finishing the wiring on the left console, and began painting the interior bits. I used a custom mix of Tamiya paints to approximate Nakajima interior color, and I think it's pretty close. The weathering should add quite a bit more to it. I am waiting for the chrome to strip off of the chain I need for the left console, not sure if that is a flap control or ? Anywho, overnight in the vinegar and a little bit o' fitting and the left side should be ready for paint. Here's the console sides and floor so far:

9-28-08001.jpg

9-14-08001.jpg

9-14-08002.jpg

And the other interior parts (some of them!) after a base coat of the interior color:

9-28-08002.jpg

Here's the chain before stripping:

9-23-08.jpg

It was donated by one of those little toy choppers at one of the big dept stores.

• 1 month later...