Fokker DR 1

Hagar

While I get up the nerve to fix my Sabre here is my Fokker DR 1. I am trying new things here and am pretty proud of my prop. Unfortunately my camera has better eyesight than I so they may not look as good as in person. The plywood siding is something I have to figure out. My wife says it looks like rust. The pictures look like it is all the same. But to me it looks okay. Critiques welcome.

DSC00956.jpg

DSC00957.jpg

DSC00958.jpg

DSC00959.jpg

DSC00960.jpg

DSC00963.jpg

and the one I'm attempting

DSC00966.jpg

I posted this on ARC also so if you see the title its the same. Look forward to some hints and thoughts on my prop.

James

James,

Well done! I really like the prop, would you mind sharing how you did it?

Thank you. Thats the first time I've attempted a wood prop. I painted it sand overall, then masked and painted a signal brown streak through. These looked to my eye like a good base. After it dried a few days I put a dollop of grumbacker <sp> burnt umber on my pallet and using a moistened brush painted a bit on at the hub. I then ran it outwards to the tip wiping the brush off after each swipe until it took on that warm wood stain and the streaks were a pleasant surprise. I was very happy with it although I think the back could be better. The plywood inside is also sand but with ochre used. It looks very light but I think okay. My wife says it looks like rust. The picture doesnt look like the real thing.

James

Thank you. Thats the first time I've attempted a wood prop. I painted it sand overall, then masked and painted a signal brown streak through. These looked to my eye like a good base. After it dried a few days I put a dollop of grumbacker <sp> burnt umber on my pallet and using a moistened brush painted a bit on at the hub. I then ran it outwards to the tip wiping the brush off after each swipe until it took on that warm wood stain and the streaks were a pleasant surprise. I was very happy with it although I think the back could be better. The plywood inside is also sand but with ochre used. It looks very light but I think okay. My wife says it looks like rust. The picture doesnt look like the real thing.

James

Good job!

FYI the technique you use is called a "dry brush technique" by artists.

After you get used to the technique it is a lot of fun to see what effects you can get with it.

It nothing else it is a good reason to build WW1 aircraft models.

Stephen

Good job!

FYI the technique you use is called a "dry brush technique" by artists.

After you get used to the technique it is a lot of fun to see what effects you can get with it.

It nothing else it is a good reason to build WW1 aircraft models.

Stephen

I'm not sure this could be called drybrushing as I put the dap of oil on the prop and brushed it out. When I've done my armour I usually wipe most of the paint off on a rag before touching the almost dry brush to the model. Would it still be the same thing?? I agree that by doing a WWI model I am stretching my boundaries a little and it has been a good learning tool.

Hopefully some more pics soon but work seems to be interfering with my modeling somewhat.

James

Looks terrific , James! I've got a few of these I can't wait to get started on. The all-black, with 'fire breathing witch', of Joseph Jabs(?) to begin with. Really interested in how well this kit goes together, and looks completed, so I'll be following with much interest. Thanks for sharing! Russ

P.S. Prop & engine are looking SWEET. :rolleyes: