21st Century Toys Macchi 205

Stef (#6)

Hello,

long time I didn't post a completed model here, but I've been producing (well, producing, just 2, that is :lol: ) 1/48 essentially these past months.

Anyway, I did manage too produce that Macchi, and I post it here as an illustration of the answer I just made in the General discussion;

Mostly OOB, except the following :

- Panel lines filled with surfacer and sanded vigourously and for a loooong time :D

- Prop an spinners molded from the PCM kit - a tad smaller in dia than the kit front's mainframe, had a plasticard disk and putty added to match

- On that scheme, upper wings fasces should have been white, while kit provided ones are black.

I had interesting times in reducing various seams, and espec, the holes where screws are going. I didn't change the wheels, that are certainly the designer's son baby-carriage ones, moulded in in plastic.

Hope you'll like it.

Cheers

Stef (#6)

macchi205_fini_01.jpg

macchi205_fini_02.jpg

macchi205_fini_03.jpg

macchi205_fini_04.jpg

macchi205_fini_05.jpg

Hello,

Thanks for the good word, Kevin,

Well, re the panel lines, these are very trench like and wide, so being used to Hasegawa, Tamiya or Special Hobby fine lines, I wanted to subdue these a bit. Lines in front of cockpit were just sanded, not filled, it gives you an idea of their look.

However, keeping that kit in perspective, it is a toy, and indeed can be built with original panel lines, spinner and screw covers. It is not an easy build, tough due to large seams to be treated.

But it gives you in the end a 3 feet away kit nice in a collection

Cheers

Stef (#6)

Hello,

Thanks for the good word, Kevin,

Well, re the panel lines, these are very trench like and wide, so being used to Hasegawa, Tamiya or Special Hobby fine lines, I wanted to subdue these a bit. Lines in front of cockpit were just sanded, not filled, it gives you an idea of their look.

However, keeping that kit in perspective, it is a toy, and indeed can be built with original panel lines, spinner and screw covers. It is not an easy build, tough due to large seams to be treated.

But it gives you in the end a 3 feet away kit nice in a collection

Cheers

Stef (#6)

Having the 202 version of this plane from 21C l agree with your assesment. Still it does build into a nice plane and does come out nice with paint. l have had my eye on the PCM version for some time ( seen one build here) and eventually purchase one to compare the two.

Stef,

Regardless of the toy-like qualities of the 21C Macchi 205 kit you 've none the less modelled an very good Macchi 205.Judging from what I see your painting is excellent.I have always thought the 21C Macchi 202 and 205 kits could be built up well even straight from the box.Even more so if you put in extra work with scratch built cockpit,landing gear and made the needed corrections.I also agree that the panel line need to be filled in too,sort of improves the overall look of the completed project.Just my .2 cents worth.Hope to see more of your projects here in the future.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Stef (#6)

I agree they are kind of a toy but I have to say for a "Toy" you sure made it look good!!!

Nice one Stef (Mk6) Looks great.

Again, I find myself amazed at the way you guys turn these simple kits into real show stoppers!

(Well done 21st Century, shame on you Hasegawa)

Hello guys,

Thanks a lot for the kind words, again;

for Spad57 : there must be my Ki-84, 1:32 somewhere else on the forum and a 190 D9

If you don't find it, here are some links :

D9

Ki-84

and a small Polikarpov I-16, but for this one, I didn't make a gallery, so you'll have to browse the pics ... I-16

and by browsing the root directory, you'll find some pics of my 1/48 builds, too.

And for Allok, Ron and Hacker, well I guess that the painting is what catches the eyes, most, so I'm working hard to try making it look good. The mottling was done twice, as it wasn't convincing at the first take, as I had no reference material at the moment. It looked like that :

macchi205_15.jpg

Next 1:32 will certainly be the Azur Bloch 152, as I just got it last week and my current project is a Kawasaki Ki-45, but 1:48.

Thanks again for all the input and comments, that's the force of these forums :rolleyes:

Stef (#6)

Hello guys,

Thanks a lot for the kind words, again;

for Spad57 : there must be my Ki-84, 1:32 somewhere else on the forum and a 190 D9

If you don't find it, here are some links :

D9

Ki-84

and a small Polikarpov I-16, but for this one, I didn't make a gallery, so you'll have to browse the pics ... I-16

and by browsing the root directory, you'll find some pics of my 1/48 builds, too.

And for Allok, Ron and Hacker, well I guess that the painting is what catches the eyes, most, so I'm working hard to try making it look good. The mottling was done twice, as it wasn't convincing at the first take, as I had no reference material at the moment. It looked like that :

macchi205_15.jpg

Next 1:32 will certainly be the Azur Bloch 152, as I just got it last week and my current project is a Kawasaki Ki-45, but 1:48.

Thanks again for all the input and comments, that's the force of these forums ;)

Stef (#6)

Stef,

Thanks for the links to your D9 and Ki84 projects as well as the 1/48 scale too.Outstanding work my friend.I've not seen the a D9 modeled in Russian marking before your's.Very different from what you'ld normally see and well done too.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Hello,

As for the Dora in Sov. markings, I have a problem with doing WWII german markings, it has to do with my family history; I do however Japanese, Italian, Soviet and so on. More I'm not very fond of german AC of the period except for Fw 190/D9/Ta152, Do 335 and Me262.

For instance, I don't like the 109 ;) (Now running for cover, to avoid incomings :( :( ), but I certainly find the camo schemes attracting and enjoyable to realize.

Now, thanks again for the kind words.

Cheers

Stef (#6)

Absolutely stunning build Stef especially considering what you started off with. Sure made a toy look like a great model. Well done. The only thing I would have done would be to thin down the trailing edges of the wings, tailplanes and rudder. Otherwise a magnificent job, especially the paintwork. really nice.

Hello Brian,

Glad you like ! ;)

Re the trailing edge, I've been sanding the whole airframe the panel lines, so it gives you a fair idea of the overall thickness ....

It certainly could have used more thinning, tough, sure.

Cheers

S(#6)