Any suggestions for replacement wheels re the 21st Century MC 202?

GVINCENT

The PCM 202 has resin wheels with IM tires. Their 205 has resin wheels, resin tires, and IM wheel tire combo (halves).

Why they didn't do a resin wheel/tire for all or their Macchi kits is a mystery to me :)

Doesn't anybody do a simple resin replacement wheel set for these kits? I have one too and don't quite know what to do about the wheels. Surely there must be something on the market that could be used as a suitable substitute?

Kev

Surely there must be something on the market that could be used as a suitable substitute?

The Good News:

1/72 Wellington bomber wheels fill the 21C C.202/205 LG fork. These wheels are still a bit small, but can be used without any mods to the kit LG and are a big improvement. :)

The Bad News:

I couldn't find any aftermarket source for those wheels, so I had to make resin copies of Airfix wheels. :unsure:

HTH,

D

The Good News:

1/72 Wellington bomber wheels fill the 21C C.202/205 LG fork. These wheels are still a bit small, but can be used without any mods to the kit LG and are a big improvement. :)

The Bad News:

I couldn't find any aftermarket source for those wheels, so I had to make resin copies of Airfix wheels. :(

HTH,

D

Well I guess that's something at least D. I built the Airfix Wellington as a kid and trashed it long ago, but I doubt I'd have the wheels anymore...

Kev

The PCM 202 has resin wheels with IM tires. Their 205 has resin wheels, resin tires, and IM wheel tire combo (halves).

Why they didn't do a resin wheel/tire for all or their Macchi kits is a mystery to me :)

Hi Mike,

PCM is Pacific Coast Models correct? If so, do you think they would sell a set (actally 2) of wheels? I'll try to find their contact info.

If anyone at LSP "knows" someone at PCM I should put a message out to, I sure would appreciate it!!!

Thanks Mike and the rest of you guys too!

Gary V.

Hello,

I've recently been completing the 21st Century 205, and tried the PCM kit wheels;

but, as this kit had already worn out my patience stock, I didn't made the mod' as it implies remaking a new holding fork, cause PCM wheels are wider in diameter, but also thicker.

So I went for the kit's wheel; one more thing, I don't know if it was my kit only, but my kit had a 202 prop and spinner, as well as 202 tailwheel installation.

For the prop and spinner, I made a resin copy of the PCM kit ones, while I just ignored the tail wheel installation.

HTH

Cheers

Stef (#6)

So I went for the kit's wheel; one more thing, I don't know if it was my kit only, but my kit had a 202 prop and spinner, as well as 202 tailwheel installation.

Numerous C.205 versions were converted from C.202 airframes by simply installing the new RA 1050 R.C.58 engine with new radiators and lower cowling. The 21C C.205 kit represents that version.

HTH,

D

Hello,

it sure helps

All right then with that option; but in this case the scheme of the 18-1 still retain the 205 spinner.

I can't tell for the other options in the kit.

It always interesting to dig in the plane history to find the variants.

Thanks for the input

Cheers

Stef (#6)

Hello,

it sure helps

All right then with that option; but in this case the scheme of the 18-1 still retain the 205 spinner.

I can't tell for the other options in the kit.

It always interesting to dig in the plane history to find the variants.

Thanks for the input

Cheers

Stef (#6)

Modified MC 202 airframes as the 21C Macchi 205 is would have used the same spinner as true 205.Due to the engine change and cowlings changes as well.I've used both spare Me 109 wheels and those spares included in the PCM kits.The 109 wheels give you the height needed but not the width.Be warned much sanding and filing is needed on the wheels and the kit forks will need the same.On the other hand if you use the spares from the PCM kits you'll need to increase the width of the forks.Speaking of landing gear I believe it was D Bellis who suggested you shorten the main gear by approx. 1/8 inch to improve the ground sit of the kit,easy to do too. To anyone interested in Macchi's or other Italian A/C give stormo.com a look.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Regia Aeronautica fan

I just noticed that Trumpeter has released a new 1/72 Wellington, review posted HERE. I don't know when it was released, but since Trump's 1/48 Wellington got resin wheels rather quickly, I think we'll see some for this new kit soon, and therefore have something for the 21C C.202 ans C.205 kits.

Some camparison pics...

The real C.202 wheels (pic posted by Manu HERE):

post-413-1170021624.jpg

Substitute kit wheels:

post-30-1218553480.jpg

On the left are the Hasegawa 1/32 Bf 109G wheels, the right ones are the new(?) Trumpeter wheels. The Wellington wheels look close enough to my eye.

Also of note is that the new Trupeter Wellington comes with two sets of wheels. It shouldn't be too hard to buy the unused set from from folks that build this kit. ;)

D

Gary,

If you decide to go with the 1/48 Wellington wheels they are availible Design and Marketing Int'l for $6.95 or from MasterCasters direct .Feel free to contact me (PM) if you have any other questions concerning Macchi A/C. Also check out Stormo.com,great site for Italian A/C.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Regia Aeronautica Fan

Gary,

If you decide to go with the 1/48 Wellington wheels they are availible Design and Marketing Int'l for $6.95 or from MasterCasters direct

The 1/48th Wellington wheels will not fit! The 1/72 Wellington wheels are what's needed.

HTH,

D

The 1/48th Wellington wheels will not fit! The 1/72 Wellington wheels are what's needed.

HTH,

D

D,

Thanks much D I stand corrected.I got the scale crossed up.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette