Floquil Dio-Sol Thinner Substitute?

Spads57

Hello All,

I've been using Floquil's Dio-Sol Thinner for years to clean my airbrushes,now it seems the stuff has gone away.My question to you fellows is there a good lacquer thinner substitute availible along the lines of Floquil's availible? Lately I've been spraying a lot of Alclad II the dio-sol works great cleaning up afterwards but my stock is getting low. Now I need something new.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

I've been using Floquil's Dio-Sol Thinner for years to clean my airbrushes,now it seems the stuff has gone away.My question to you fellows is there a good lacquer thinner substitute availible along the lines of Floquil's availible? Lately I've been spraying a lot of Alclad II the dio-sol works great cleaning up afterwards but my stock is getting low. Now I need something new.

Gregory,

Your local hardware store should sell lacquer thinner by the quart or gallon for a very reasonable price. On the other hand, I prefer xylene (also known as xylol), which is the principal component of Dio-Sol and also is sold inexpensively by the quart or gallon at any good hardware store — wherever I've lived in the USA, at least — or via the Internet. Xylene/xylol is strong stuff, however, so be careful with it.

A 2:1 mixture of xylene and lacquer thinner comes quite close to being home-made Dio-Sol.

Charles Metz

Hi I usually pick up a gallon can of lacquer thinner at the local walmart back in the paint department. I have a quart can I fill about half full from the gallon so I don't have to handle the big can when airbrushing. Works great for cleaning my Badger airbrush.

Texas :ph34r: :huh: :o

Hi I usually pick up a gallon can of lacquer thinner at the local walmart back in the paint department. I have a quart can I fill about half full from the gallon so I don't have to handle the big can when airbrushing. Works great for cleaning my Badger airbrush.

Texas

Same here. Also, the price of the laquer thinner from Wal Mart is about half that of the hardware stores in this area. I also use it to thin all of the paints I use (mostly Model Master and Floquil enamels).

I'd never considered adding xylene to the laquer thinner, but that is an interesting idea if I ever run into something that isn't being cut by the straight laquer thinner. Be sure to read the xylene MSDS before you use it.

D

Charles,Texas,and D,

Thank you for the information.I'll be checking the local hardware store for lacquer thinner and the xylene too.And D that was a good call on the MSDS sheet I wish more people would take the time to read them,sure could save you a lot of Health promblems down the road.Thanks again guys.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette