USAAF Bristol Beaufighter Mk.VIf, help/info....PLEASE!!!

Kaeone57

Alfonso,

Photos uploaded to Photobucket remain on that website indefinitely, as far as I know. In any case, photos that I uploaded to my free Photobucket account more than a year ago are still there and their links to my discussion-board postings still work. I urge you to give Photobucket a try.

Usual disclaimer,

Charles Metz

Charles,

I tried it out, loaded the image and even played with one to fix the lighting.

I was having fun until it came time to figure out how to bring it here????

I APOLOGIES, but I need some help. If it isn't to big a problem I am going to PM

you my phone # and if money is a issue due to long distance I could call you back

as I have free weekends, or whatever you prefer. I know you have better things to

do today than help out a caveman...

THANK YOU

Alfonso

1-P5090047.jpg

2-P5090047-1.jpg

LSP,

I am trying to see if this works out for me using the photobucket as advised.

I know it is not a 32nd scale aircraft but it is all I got to show right now.

THANKS,

Alfonso

1ST-Charles,

THANK YOU for the intel and suggestion, it took a while but I figured it out.

2ND- LSP,

I know all you guys are wondering, Why is there a 1/48th SBD-2 on LSP?

I APOLOGIES but it is the only completed model I have to show right now. It is actually my 1st

model in 15-20 years, 1st base also, and I was suggested by a fellow modeller in Miami to enter

it in the IPMS Orlando Modelpalooza event this past May 17th-18th. I didn't want to compete

but after enough suggesting I agreed. I was shocked when I won 1st place in the category,

1/48th U.S. Military Single Prop Allied.

It is the Accurate Miniatures kit with 74 scratchbuilt parts added, all plastic, some wire and

paper for the rear gunners web belt seat back..... I will not bore any one with the details unless

asked. Sorry for the picture quality, 1st time taking model photos also.

BTW- it is an SBD-2 of VB-2, CV-2 USS Lexington, Spring 1941

Yellow Wings Decals, kit stencils and homemade placards and some stencils from the spares.

Peace and Blessings, Hope it is accepted.

Alfonso

Kev,

I THANK YOU SIR, on the complement it took some work to get here, kind

of like your Emil, all twisty and mis molded, but still played with the hand I

was dealt, the cards were not folded. :rolleyes:

Peace and Blessings

Alfonso

Hi Alfonso,

I have done a little research. I can only find two interior shots of Beaufighters taken during the war. One is a Mk.I Beaufighter, and the other is a Mk.VI Beaufighter. According the the Squadron Signal 'In action' seried for the Beaufighter (N0.153), the USAAF recieved 100 Beaufighters in total from RAF stocks - all Mk.VIf airctaft - between April and March 1943. It also states that the aircraft were either fitted with the AI Mk.1 radar in the standard nose, or the Mk. VII/VIII radar in the thimble nose. All phtographs I have seen of USAAF Beaufighters generally show the thimble nosed Mk.VIf variants (the internal equipment would be pretty much like the Beaufighter mk.X aircraft). They all appear to have the standard observers copula as well - I have not seen any Vickers K guns in evidence on these aircraft. As far as I can tell, the floor looks to be covered in natural coloured ply wood, although it is very difficult to ascertain this in the period photographs. If they were paintee at all, I would suspect that they would have been painted interior grey-green to match the internal colour of the fuselage. Preserved Australian DAP.21 aircraft (basically an Australianised Beaufighter Mk.X) have natural (unpainted) wooden floors - so the choice is yours.

The following scans are taken from the Squadron Signal 'In action' Beaufighter book (No.153), the SAM Datafile No.6 book of the Beaufighter, and the AJ Press Monograph No.75 book on the Bristol Beaufighter:

USAAFBeau004.jpg

(From SAM Datafile book)

USAAFBeau002.jpg

(Fron Squadron Signal book)

USAAFBeau003.jpg

(From AJ Press book) Note interior at lower right picture. This is a Mk.I aircraft (probably a Mk.Ic) Notice the 20mm cannon drums stored along the fuselage sides.

USAAFBeau005.jpg

(From the SAM Datafile book) This interior shot (bottom) is from a war time Beaufighter Mk.VI.

USAAFBeau.jpg

(From the Squadron Signal book) USAAF Beaufighters - Mk.VIf thimble nosed aircraft.

USAAFBeau001.jpg

From Squadron Signal book) Moore USAAF aircraft.

Also, two links to preserved Australian DAP.21 Beaufighters (not the Duxford aircraft):

Beaufighter DAP.21 link 1

Beaufighter DAP.21 link 2

HTH

Derek

Derek,

PLEASE REMEMBER, that I to have the Squadron in action book, and the Modellers Datafile.

I have said this from the beginning of the post. While I THANK YOU for the review I would

rather be taught something new, if that is ok with you. :lol:

I to have eyes and can see, and though I know my English may never be, as perfect as thee,

I am able to read that which I see, as with intelligence I know the FATHER created we, so

please inc. me. ;) , and pass me the lucky charms while your at it... :lol:

Now I know you are running for "Beaufighter President" and all but don't use my fact finding

post as a way to defamate me, as I am not running for office. I DON'T DEAL WITH POLI-TICS,

'cuz plastic bugs go straight for the d--k......... so with my anger released in the most comedic

manner as I was able to conceive, on with the facts we proceed...

I know the USAAF had 100 MkVIf, read the title of the post and all the questions are critical to this.

Radar- The Squadron book says AI MkI for a Beau MkVIf in the standard nose, MkVII/VIII for thimble

nose in pg. 27. Go back a bit and it says on pg. 9, for a Beau MkIf, AI MkIV. Now it is obvious that

it is a typo as why would the earlier aircraft have a better unit installed and the latter have an older

model. Also you can tell the info in the Squadron is off due to pg. 23 stating that the AI Mk IV was

centimetric when the MkVII/VIII was the centrimetric unit with the dish which is the need for the

thimble nose housing. Just look at the earlier Mk they say had the Mk IV and the nose is short. All other publications, like the Modellers Datafile for one, state that the AI MkIV was in the Beau MkVIf in the

standard nose, pg. 19.

The aircraft I am leaning towards representing as stated earlier is KV912 in the post, is a standard nose

MkVIf with a AI MkIV due to many pics and profiles being avaiable. The only thing I question is 1 profile

showing it from the right with standard exhaust stacks and not the hedgehog type, but better for me as I

won't have to scratch it or buy aftermarket.....

The copula we covered that already also.

Once again I do not intend to offend, you or anyone in anyway, I just dont like going in circles. I would much rather move FOREWARD. I GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT ON THIS MATTER, and I know you probably

have better things to do than assist I....

I THANK YOU DEREK and your assistance, Peace and Blessings ITERNAL,

Alfonso

Hi Alfonso,

I'm not trying to undermine you, only trying to help, nor do I see myself as any kind of Beaufighter expert (I don't believe that there is anything political going on here?). I was aware that you had the SAM Datafile, but not the Squadron signal book. I have no more information on the subject than you - probably less, however I had posted my best conclusions based on the available information at hand, which I thought would be useful to other modellers, as well as yourself.

There may be mistakes within the various publications, but as always with this type of information, you have to make your best guess where definate information is lacking. You have clearly spent a lot of time researching your subject - probably with just about as much material as anyone else has got, so there may be little more to add to your quest, other than the views and interpetations of other like minded modellers who also share your interest in this aircraft.

To address your remaining question of exhaust types, again, without a photograph of the actual aircraft (from the right angle or side), it may end up as guess work as to the correct type fitted to KV912. It would probably have been fitted with exhausts similar to other standard RAF Mk.VIf aircraft with AI Mk.IV radar equipment. As you may well know, the hedghog type exhausts are designed to dampen the exhaust flames and therefore make them less visible during night time operations - which would fit in well with the AI intercept role of these aircraft - again, the choice is entirely yours.

Good luck

Derek

Derek,

I would first like to say that, I APOLOGIES for the first 3 paragraphs. I will quickly

discuss as to why I responded in that matter, and maybe you to will see my frustrations.

I stated from the beginning what I HAVE for reference, the Beau in action, and the

Modellers Datafile, and what I was looking for was ANY OTHER sources on the subject,

mainly on Beaufighter MkVIf, but PRIMARILY in USAAF service as that is what I intend

to cover on my build.

I let the whole of you know what I have bookwise, and the 1/48th Tamiya kit, with the

aftermarket bits, and even named them. I did this so anyone who was to read it could

know what I have in my hands, so as not to refer me to what I have. Having all this at

hand, I would be a total discredit to Humanity if I would not have read and studied it

before I asked any questions. To me it feels like you have not read what I have said

or even give it credit or even validity. How then am I to feel. I just joked with you to

deal with not being heard, or read the first time around.

Within the title to the topic is...USAAF Beaufighter MkVIf, . Then you quote the Squadron

in action in that the USAAF received 100 Beaufighters from RAF stocks-all MkVIf. The title

alone should show this information was known, all I questioned in that statement was if any

changes were carried out, after they changed hands, and we covered that already.

As for the radar you quote the Squadron again saying the aircraft were either fitted with the

AI MkI in standard nose and MkVII/VIII in the thimble nose. I have said earlier that for the

MkVIF it is the AI MkIV in the standard nose and MkVII/III in the thimble nose. I Don't really

like to talk to many people to begin with, if any of you meet me you will SEE why, but be sure of this,

if I do speak it's 'cuz I know something about what we talking about. Just by reading the pages

I mentioned earlier on the Squadron book/Modellers Datafile you can see what I mean. How do

you have the same 2 books and not see that and then go against me as if my input is invalid...

makes me feel pretty unheard wouldn't you think, or as usual mis-understood, theres that word

again, :angry:

The last remark torwards the exhaust was also a joke, I am pretty sure a night fighter would

have hedgehog type as well. I was just making a joke to laugh at the fact that they would have

to be scratched and who the heck looks forward to scratching something like that, you almost

want that profile to be right.

Derek, I hope you can see where I am coming from Brother, as for me I just want to move

forward man, I don't want to confuse this thread, as I to want to share what I can give to all

others interested and wishing to know about this subject as well.

I HUMBLY APOLOGIES TIMES INFINITY BROTHER, I don't want to come across the wrong way.

I HIGHLY VALUE your assistance on this matter and would like to bring things foreward into light

together for all to gain...maybe all the information should be gathered and made into add on

notes to the references and posted in the sight under " USAAF Beaufighter MkVIF ", with a free

bottle of LSP logo shaped aspirin to the first 100 users. ;)

THANKS AGAIN

Alfonso

BTW- I forgot to THANK YOU for the 2 Beau links and the Monograph pics that I had not seen..

Derek,

I would first like to say that, I APOLOGIES for the first 3 paragraphs. I will quickly

discuss as to why I responded in that matter, and maybe you to will see my frustrations.

I stated from the beginning what I HAVE for reference, the Beau in action, and the

Modellers Datafile, and what I was looking for was ANY OTHER sources on the subject,

mainly on Beaufighter MkVIf, but PRIMARILY in USAAF service as that is what I intend

to cover on my build.

I let the whole of you know what I have bookwise, and the 1/48th Tamiya kit, with the

aftermarket bits, and even named them. I did this so anyone who was to read it could

know what I have in my hands, so as not to refer me to what I have. Having all this at

hand, I would be a total discredit to Humanity if I would not have read and studied it

before I asked any questions. To me it feels like you have not read what I have said

or even give it credit or even validity. How then am I to feel. I just joked with you to

deal with not being heard, or read the first time around.

Within the title to the topic is...USAAF Beaufighter MkVIf, . Then you quote the Squadron

in action in that the USAAF received 100 Beaufighters from RAF stocks-all MkVIf. The title

alone should show this information was known, all I questioned in that statement was if any

changes were carried out, after they changed hands, and we covered that already.

As for the radar you quote the Squadron again saying the aircraft were either fitted with the

AI MkI in standard nose and MkVII/VIII in the thimble nose. I have said earlier that for the

MkVIF it is the AI MkIV in the standard nose and MkVII/III. I Don't really like to talk to many

people to begin with, if any of you meet me you will SEE why, but be sure of this, if I do speak

it's 'cuz I know something about what we talking about. Just by reading the pages I mentioned

earlier on the Squadron book/Modellers Datafile you can see what I mean. How do you have the

same 2 books and not see that and then go against me as if my input is invalid...makes me feel

pretty unheard wouldn't you think, or as usual mis-understood, theres that word again, :angry:

The last remark torwards the exhaust was also a joke, I am pretty sure a night fighter would

have hedgehog type as well. I was just making a joke to laugh at the fact that they would have

to be scratched and who the heck looks forward to scratching something like that, you almost

want that profile to be right.

Derek, I hope you can see where I am coming from Brother, as for me I just want to move

forward man, I don't want to confuse this thread, as I to want to share what I can give to all

others interested and wishing to know about this subject as well.

I HUMBLY APOLOGIES TIMES INFINITY BROTHER, I don't want to come across the wrong way.

I HIGHLY VALUE your assistance on this matter and would like to bring things foreward into light

together for all to gain...maybe all the information should be gathered and made into add on

notes to the references and posted in the sight under " USAAF Beaufighter MkVIF ", with a free

bottle of LSP logo shaped aspirin to the first 100 users. :P

THANKS AGAIN

Alfonso

BTW- I forgot to THANK YOU for the 2 Beau links and the Monograph pics that I had not seen..

:lol: :lol: Everything is :lol: Alfonso - no sweat.

The information I put up for the benefit of others LSP members following this thread, but without the documentation that we both have. The reason being that it then does not become just a two-way corrosondence between us, and it may even enlighten and inspire others modellers to make one as well (especially if they have wanted too, but have put it off for exactly the same reasons as yourself - checking that things are correct before you begin). Obviously, if I find any more information that may be of value to you (that you do not already possess), then I shall, of course, pass it onto you.

Best regards

Derek

LSP,

RE: The Bristol Beaufighter MkVIf in USAAF service..

1-Model Airplane International June '07-2 Bristol Beaufighter MkVIf of 416th NFS, 12 AF, USAAF,

Top profile- X7929/ I in Gerbini, 1943, bottom profile- KV912 in Italy, 1943

1-07USAAFBeaus-1.jpg

3-Cutting Edge decal sheet #CED48057- KV912, Derek- Don't she look nice with the K gun? :blink:, I wish it was true.

The names are- FLUFF on nose, AMBY on Right nacelle outboard( although in pic of actual it is inboard)

and PATSY on Left nacelle outboard( although in pic of actual not visible, so I GUESS it might be inboard as

AMBY.

3-KV912CuttingEdge.jpg

4-Aeromaster Decals sheet #48-340- KV912

4-KV912Aeromaster.jpg

There are issues with the #'s on the top of the rudder on KV912 as all the references I have seen say

something different, they say 12, 22, or 92. I have read somewhere on the net it is 912, can't remember

where though. The nose #'s have the same issue with the same #'s. Due to the aircraft serial #, I GUESS

it may be 12, or 912 for the tail, 12 for nose, which is above the "Arrowhead" transmitter.

I DO NOT KNOW 100%....I will do my best to figure this out, gotta take a couple of those LSP logo aspirin

that I made using a homemade mold, patent pending :blink:

I will add all findings pertaining to USAAF Beaufighter MkVIf and general details for this variant as well,

here on this thread for the benefit of all.

HTH, Anybody.....Enjoy

Alfonso

BTW- will I get in trouble for posting this material???????