1/32 IAR 80

Radub

There is also a great new book on it....everything you should know on the plane!!

Iar80.jpg

I got that book...it is in french.

I agree, it is a beautiful book and well worth every single cent. The same text was published in 2000 in Romanian, but with with fewer photos. As mentioned eralier in the thread I met Dan Antoniu, one of the authors, last summer and he gave me a lot of documents and information on the IAR80. I also had the chance to inspect the original engine maintenance manual, airframe parts list and the original factory drawings.

Richard and Radu,

You're both shameless teases! :lol: Please tell us more about the French edition of this book, so we can order it. Author? ISBN? Do I read the publisher correctly as "Editions TMA"? And can you point us to a US or on-line vendor?

Charles Metz

Hi Charles,

The book is called "IAR-80" and the authors are Dan Antoniu and George Cicos. ISBN 2-915205-08-6 Published by Editions TMA, Paris, 2008

The book is in French, 288 pages, hardback, large format, with tons of photos, drawings and colour profiles. It is pricey, but worth every single penny and believe me this praise has nothing to do with my friendship with one of the authors. I got mine directly from Dan Antoniu with a very nice personalised autograph. Dan and I collaborated on a number of projects and all of my Romanian decals are based on previoulsy unpublished photos that he kindly provided. I also just finished the translation of one of his forthcoming books (not this one, more info soon :lol: )

It is available here:

http://renax.club.fr/sharkit/TMA/TMA.htm

The older Romanian version of the book is not as glossy and beautifully presented but I still love it (my copy is completely worn out). It is called "Vanatorul IAR-80 Istoria unui erou necunoscut" (The IAR80 fighter, the story of an unknown hero) by Dan Antoniu and George Cicos, published by Editura Modelism, Bucharest, 2000 ISBN-973-8101-07-7 Paperback, 320 pages, medium format.

Another superb book that I can wholeheartedly recommend, by the same authors, is "Romanian Aeronautical Constructions" ISBN 973-567-523-4

This book is in English and extremely interesting.

HTH

Radu

Radu - great to hear the kit is still progressing! I will look foward to getting a couple when the kit is completed! :D

Charles, if you find a good mail order source for the books Radu mentioned, please let me know as I would like to order them as well! I tried Amazon and Barnes and Noble, and no luck :o Radu, maybe you would like to sell them on your store site? ;)

Cheers,

Doug

Order placed. If my books arrive promptly, that website's impressive selection and very reasonable shipping charges will make me a regular customer.

Thank you!

Charles Metz

Dang, looks like they had only one and you must have gotten it Charles, as it is no longer on their site! Oh well, I'll check back in a few weeks to see if they restock. :)

Cheers,

Doug