Tamiya 1/32nd scale F-15E Strike Eagle

geedubelyer

Hello everyone,

I've recently completed a build of the F-15E by Tamiya. As many of you know, this is a lovely kit and Tamiya deserve a huge pat on the back for offering such a tremendous product.

I recognise one or two of you guys from other modelling forums so I apologise if you've already seen these images. ;)

For those that have n't, here are a few piccies of "Trip Two"....................

Frontal9.jpg

Left_side1.jpg

Right_side4.jpg

Rear.jpg
Edited by geedubelyer

Last few...........

03.jpg

tn_Jet_pipes4.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

For anyone who might be interested, here is a link to my In Progress build over on ARC....

My build

Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoyed the pics.

Any comments, criticisms or questions are more than welcome.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

That is incredible. Many of the details, such as the burner cans, are astoundingly good.

I really had to scrutinize the photos to tell whether it was a model or the real airplane. The only thing that ultimately gave it away, was a couple panel lines that were slightly thicker than you might see on the real airplane. Other than that, I could not even tell.

Amazing work.

First off...simply amazing detailing and photography! Your technique is perfect. You nailed it. Great job!

But...(yeah, there's always a but...)...I've looked at this thread several times now and I was reluctant to post but the head on shots were bothering me for some reason. Then it hit me. It's the wings. There's too much anhedral. I work around 15's all day and there is no noticeable droop of the wings. I even went out on the shop floor to confirm and they are pretty much straight across the span.

Disregarding that the model is absolutely stunning.

Jeff

Well, risking repetition, this is one of, if not, the most realistic models I've ever seen.

It does look like the real thing. Nothing looks over scale and the finish/lighting and photography are impeccable.

Must be close to perfect. Thanks for sharing.

Matt

Thanks everyone :lol:

I appreciate all of the comments and thoughts. I'm glad you like the model.

Bryan said:
The only thing that ultimately gave it away, was a couple panel lines that were slightly thicker than you might see on the real airplane.

Hi Bryan, I agree completely with what you say. I removed the panel lines on the CFTs for that very reason. They looked far too deep on the first F-15E I built. I must try to fill in the remainder when I build an F-15C. :P

jbrundt said:
But...(yeah, there's always a but...)...I've looked at this thread several times now and I was reluctant to post but the head on shots were bothering me for some reason. Then it hit me. It's the wings. There's too much anhedral. I work around 15's all day and there is no noticeable droop of the wings. I even went out on the shop floor to confirm and they are pretty much straight across the span.

Disregarding that the model is absolutely stunning.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, no problem my friend. I'm glad you pointed it out, thanks. I wonder if it is a combination of things? The wings look o.k. on the model so perhaps it's the angle I shot the head on shots from and the focal length of the lens?

Have a look at these on F-15E Strike Eagle and you'll see that the wing sweep can sometimes create the illusion of anhedral.

F-15E head on

and here

There are plenty showing the wings straight across too so I'll be doubly careful on the "-C" build. Thanks again for mentioning it.

FWIW, I think it takes alot of courage to say something as you never know how folk will react. I'm pleased you did ;)

kap64 said:
Nice work! How did you do that HUD?

Hi Kap64, I adapted a technique that I saw on a build by Dave Roof over on HS. He used irridescent confetti to add life to the MFDs of a 1/32 scale Academy Hornet. I thought that the effect would look spot on for a wide angle HUD glass like this one.

I scoured the internet and found some irridescent film which I shaped and stuck to the plastic. I have to admit, it's one of the most pleasing bits of the model for me. The way it changes colour as you move position around the model is just like the full sized article. HTH.

Thanks again guys. ;)

Edit* A few bonus pics added. 

Miscellaneous-031a.jpg

Miscellaneous-050.jpg

tn-Trip-Two005a.jpg

tn-Trip-Two003.jpg

tn-Trip-Two018.jpg

Ordnance_close-up2.jpg

tn_Mounted_sniper_7.jpg

tn_Mounted_sniper_10.jpg

Grille_close-up.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

tn_WSO_left_side.jpg

tn_WSO_right_side.jpg

tn_Top_view2.jpg

tn_Loadout1a.jpg

07.jpg

Wheel_close-up.jpg

04.jpg

09.jpg

08.jpg

For those who think the F-15 is a big fighter......

F-15-E-and-Su-27-comparison5.jpg

Plus a couple of 91-321 when she was with the 494th FS

Sunny-model-pics-019.jpg

Sunny-model-pics-016.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

Hi Jeff, no problem my friend. I'm glad you pointed it out, thanks. I wonder if it is a combination of things? The wings look o.k. on the model so perhaps it's the angle I shot the head on shots from and the focal length of the lens?

Have a look at these on F-15E Strike Eagle and you'll see that the wing sweep can sometimes create the illusion of anhedral.

F-15E head on

and here

There are plenty showing the wings straight across too so I'll be doubly careful on the "-C" build. Thanks again for mentioning it.

FWIW, I think it takes alot of courage to say something as you never know how folk will react. I'm pleased you did :rolleyes:

Thanks for those pics you linked. You're right...it may be an effect of the camera lens. I tried standing in front of our E's in the hanger and could not duplicate that perspective with my human eye. And I do know how one can be jumped on for posting what might be perceived as a negative comment and in no way was I meaning to be negative WRT to your mudhen. You have one damn fine model there and should be proud of what you've done. Plus the fact that Tamiya makes a darn nice kit it's hard to see how the wing anhedral/dihedral could be messed up.

take care,

Jeff