Lets go back to the early days of the RAF

post-542-1208659616.jpg

Like l dont have enough to build man but here we go. Always wanted to do Mr Bishops plane. Seeing eveyone is doing WW2 l thought that l would go back even further. l was waiting for a second kit to arrive for this build and this one for another purpose but the second kit is delayed. So instand of waiting for it to show up l will start now.

post-542-1208697699.jpg

The biggest thing about the Hobbycraft kit is the lack of actual details. Sure the Nieuport was very rudrementry but compared to the kit and the actual plane its has alot more in details to offer.

post-542-1208697414.jpg

l am going to attempt to do this and recitify the lack of detail. The drawing shows two guns, one cowl mounted synchronized Vickers machine gun and one on the upper wing mounted Lewis machine gun

post-542-1208697442.jpg

Where as this picture of Billy Bishop in his Nieuport clearly shows only the upper gun Lewis machine gun was on his plane so this is how l am going to build it. Later models of this plane did have the other gun but by the time this happened Bishop moved on to a SE5 sout where he enjoyed two cowl mounted Vickers guns

Hi Hacker,

looks promissing!

I also noticed that we have many WW2 airplanes inthis GB despite the RAF was served by a very imaginative and technology leading aircraft industry (with sometime some wierd results!).

I am myself WW2 only (or almost) so I am not complaining here... but I was expecting more WW1 and jets even if I know large scale does not offer millions of possibilities.

Anyway, nice to have you on board.

Cheers,

Loic

Most Excellent choice!

I thought about doing a WWI bird as I have a Nieuport, a Camel and a Morane-Saulnier monoplane in the kit stash, but went with the Hurri instead.

Look forward to this one!

Tim W.

But this is Pre 1918? RAF was formed on 1/4/18.

I suggest you build a very accurate painstaking model, then set fire to it in an act of self disqualification.

Not funny.

Thanks for all the comments and support guys its appreciated

Though l work nights and sleep mostly during the day when l do get up and get something to eat l put some effort into my projects, particularly into this one

post-542-1208901439.jpg

After removing all the molded in interior detail l paint the cockpit walls radome tan to represent the fabric fuselage covering.

post-542-1208901457.jpg

l then started to make a new interior out of HO scale 4x4 bass wood strips and a floor out of wood vernier. l took the pieces that needed to be bent and put them into a plastic tray with water and microwaved them until they where pliable. l then clamped them the the kit fuselage halves using them as forming jigs to get the curvature of the plane's bottom l needed.

l left them over night to dry then this afternoon l stained them and other pieces a birch colour. l then made out of plastic the front engine bearing assembly. There more to be made here but that's coming. this part is important at the moment for assembling the frame work that will be done tomorrow

After building the two out side frames l then cut some thin hard steel wire and glued them in place for the wire braces.

post-542-1208901469.jpg

here l test fitted the side frames in to check to see if they fit. No problem there.

Well that's all for now later gang ;)

I was all ready to compliment your brilliant faux wood finish on plastic until I read that it was really wood. Even better!

Very clever idea to soften and bend the strips that way.

Hi Hacker,

I really like the trick with the wood for the fuselage frames too.

The Nieuport 17 and 23 had plywood panels from behind the engine, to level with the cockpit.

This allowed the fitting of the oval shaped inspection plates. This was painted with silver dope.

Here is link to a picture of the Stbd side one.

http://users.skynet.be/philippesmodels/En/...uport23_21.html

This from this site that has some great pictures of a dismantled Ni 23

http://users.skynet.be/philippesmodels/En/...alAircraft.html

Check out the restoration section as it has some excellent cockpit shots that shows the plywood panels well.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Hacker,

I really like the trick with the wood for the fuselage frames too.

The Nieuport 17 and 23 had plywood panels from behind the engine, to level with the cockpit.

This allowed the fitting of the oval shaped inspection plates. This was painted with silver dope.

Here is link to a picture of the Stbd side one.

Tim

Way ahead of you Tim. l was planning to use some of the venier for that job but l will opt to go with some wood decaling l have in order to save space. Even as thin as the venier l have is its just too thick so l will do something else instand. Thanks for the links they will be useful. What l do need is some reference shots of the engine for painting purposes if anyone has any pics of restored engines

later ;)