Airfix big Mustang

typhoon nick

Ok here I go with the 1:24 Arfix Mustang, I'm just starting back in to the hobby after 10 years out, my first build back was a 1:24 Hurricane which turned out not too bad, I will give the P-51 a good go but I doubt it will turn out as good as many of the builds on here, so if it looks a little amatureish at times please bare with me.

I've started by sandinding a lot of the raised rivet detail off and some of the raised panels, early days!

Below is a pic of the colour scheme I may go for, not sure at the moment

MP-51-1.jpg

P51BBD.jpg

I think those were cold air intakes. Behind those holes was a door that let added cold air in for operation in warmer climbs.

In the ETO they were apparently sometimes considered unecessary and were paneled off.

51.jpg

Mike

a

b

e

n

...always get a second opinion ;)

TN,

From what i have pic's of and a cutaway.The seat is pretty much right on the mark.The only thing u need to do is tapper the sides to where the headrest goes and u'er there.I would sand back the edges about a 1/16th of an inch for the tapper.Then u'll have the seat the way it should be.Larry

This is a Schick-Johnson seat, it was used on quite a few P-51Ds, most notably on some P-51D-15NAs and 20-NAs.

Some other production blocks could have used them too but it's not real clear (at least to me).

In other words, if you're building a Mustang with a serial number between 44-14853 and 44-72626 there's a chance this kind of seat was installed in it.

Here's a photo showing the seat in a P-51D, just remember to add the armor plate behind it:

http://midwestaero.com/images/Cripes/target30.html

Hi Tourist,

Thanks for the info. I scratchbuilt the other type of seat, but it is not yet installed in my Airfix Mustang.

I'll check the tailnumber of the plane with my intended colour scheme.

Typhoon Nick,

Have fun with the Mustang. It's a nice kit to build and to improve your scratchbuilding techniques on

Dimensionwise, it's very good so no worries in that department.

Peter

If you already built the "other" seat (Warren Mac Arthur) you should probably use it, I know that's the seat I'd put into "Big Beautiful Doll".

If you go for another scheme, the best thing to do would be to find a photo of the aircraft you'd like to build, sometimes (specially when the pilot poses in his cockpit) you can tell what seat they used.

Tourist is correct about the holed plates, they shield air filters used in dusty conditions.

Their purpose was more to let added air in than to shield anything. There were filters

in the ducting to the carberator but there was also a cold air/warm air function to the

system that necessitated the vents in the side of the cowl.

From a modeling standpoint it obviously doesn't matter. Some had them paneled over

some didn't.

M

M

...check your reference photos.

I'm trying to do some work to the P-51 when I get chance but my wife is due to give birth in the next couple of days so as you can imagine time is limited at the moment!

Heres a couple of pics so far, I'm using this kit to get experience.

Picture137.jpg

Second one, nothing is yet secure

Picture135.jpg