488 RAF (NZ) Sqn, Brewster Buffalo

Allok

This is looking seriously good!

Are you going to make stencils for the roundels too?

I have to make some stencils for some white numbers for my Swordfish, not looking forward to it to be honest!

Hi keith

I gather you are using the Matchbox markings as your template? Seeing as

you are marking your aircarft NF-N.

If so then the aircraft serial number W8142 for the matchbox rendition

is incorrect for a RNZAF aircraft (most likely one of the RAF squadrons, as the

RAAF Buffalos did not carry that serial either).

The closest number in the RNZAF inventory is W8141, but I don't have any info

if that was indeed NF-N (though no one would really know if you did use

that particular serial.... <_< )

Hope that helps

Alan

Alan is absolutely correct. (Thanks Alan)

After a brief check, I discovered that the Matchbox plane is mostly fictitious.

W8142 was delivered as WPoN to 243 Squadron and later transferred to 453 Sqn. I believe these are both RAF (RAAF) squadrons not RAF (NZ).

I can find no reference of a buffalo with the NFoN code. I guess they must have made this one up.

I should have checked all this before I began painting.

I will paint out the wobbly N tail code and replace it with a (hopefully) less wobbly T with serial W8168. This was one of around 20 Buffalos transferred from 67 Sqn to 488 Sqn.

Alan is absolutely correct. (Thanks Alan)

After a brief check, I discovered that the Matchbox plane is mostly fictitious.

W8142 was delivered as WPoN to 243 Squadron and later transferred to 453 Sqn. I believe these are both RAF (RAAF) squadrons not RAF (NZ).

Hi Keith Good to see you were able to find something to replace the "Spurious markings"

Just one note to clarify for those who may read this, 488 squdron was actually an RNZAF squadron

"officially" formed at Rongotai here in New Zealand, and was the RNZAF's first fighter squadron.

It was known as an RNZAF "Infiltration" squadron and though attached to the RAF it was a RNZAF

owned and operated squadron as was RAAF 453 squardron.

("Quoted" from New Zealand in the Second World war- The RNZAF in South East Asia 1941-42,

War History Branch, Dept of Internal Affairs)

The reason RAF is attached to these is that still in those days, New Zealand and Australia were part

of the "Dominion"(Empire) and accorded the status of beng attached to the RAF.

Regards

Alan

I managed to paint out the dubious N and replace it with a much more respectable T...

Pictures137.jpg

Some roundels care of Watermak decals. Now I'm starting to enjoy this plane...

Pictures138.jpg

Pictures139.jpg

A shot with the canopy sitting in place...

Pictures140.jpg

A generous soaking of Microsol has helped achieve a "Painted on" look for the decals. Of course, actually painting the codes on has a similar effect :wub:

In this photo you can also make out the excellent surface detailing on these kits. Crisp and subtle. Model companies are getting much better at this.

Pictures142.jpg

Nice recovery Keith. She's looking really good!
This is excellent, you are making it look too easy, though I bet it wasn't !

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

This is the first time I have attempted masking to this degree and although it is a little hairy, it has turned out much better than I expected.

Another little thing worth noting; I am applying Gunzy over Tamiya over Gunzy etc,etc. (All acrylic) This is normally a huge No-no as the Gunzy has a habit of curling up it little nose and ruining your model. A hint to dramatically reduce this is to thin the Gunzy with Tamiya thinner! And then try to apply the pain as thinly and dryly as possible. (Is dryly a word? You guys know what I mean) I still had a bit of an issue putting the Tamiya light blue over the black, must have put it on too wet.

This is looking sooo cool! :wub: I'm really digging this build dude. So, were these a 'home defense' sq. or did they operate someplace else? Did they ever see action in these Brewsters?

These planes were the British air defence force over Singapore and would have seen heavy action against the advancing Japanese. Unfortunately, because of the non-exsistant warning system, the enemy was usually long gone before these little guys made it into the air. More often than not, they were the target and were destroyed on the ground. Too slow, too heavy, under-gunned and plagued with maintenance difficulties, they were no match for the nimble Jap planes once they did make it into the air.

These planes were the British air defence force over Singapore and would have seen heavy action against the advancing Japanese. Unfortunately, because of the non-exsistant warning system, the enemy was usually long gone before these little guys made it into the air. More often than not, they were the target and were destroyed on the ground. Too slow, too heavy, under-gunned and plagued with maintenance difficulties, they were no match for the nimble Jap planes once they did make it into the air.

The RAF defense of Singapore was a screw up by British High commamnd who thought the

Japanese would come by sea.

The Brewster fighter is very much maligned by people who think that it was worthles,

yes there were difficulties in keeping these birds flying but fly and kill Japanese

they did.

RNZAF pilots had the fortune of keeping all 4 0.5 Cal MG's and used them to great

effect, Geoff Fisken achieved a number of kills as did other pilots.

Many people also ignorantly believe that the RAF fought against the deadly Zero

fighter. This is not the case, in fact the Brewster fighter was pretty much a match

for the Japanese aircraft they encountered over the area.

In fact the British defense of Singapore overall achieved a 2:1 kill ratio over the

Japanese. certainly some aircraft were lost through bombing etc more often

than not losses ocurred through aerial fighting attrition.

Not bad for a heavy, supposed out classed under gunned maintenance heavy

aircraft!

The only reason the Japanese won the air war was they had more machines to play with,

whilst the RAF/Commonwealth pilots were pretty much left to wither on the vine so

to speak by British High command with very little or no replacement aircraft.

Working towards completing this little plane.

The masking is off and all the decals are on, there are only a couple anyway.

A little post fading, not sure if I really like it...

Pictures144.jpg

Pictures145.jpg

Pictures146.jpg

Never really cared for these, always looked like a flying barrel to me.... But, watching you build this has changed my opinion of them, I quiet like them now!

Great build and paintwork and the post fading looks good in my eyes Allok!

Nearly there matey, now, lets see her finished!!