Hasegawa Emil

Hi Kev,

the foul on the engine is not that obvious seen from here but this possibly comes from the 12000 km between us ;)

What surprised me this that you removed the masking before you completed the paint job. Masking is one of the task I like the less so when it is done, I usualy try not to remove it until I am 100% sure I am done with the paintjob.

Is there any reason why you did so?

Ta,

loic

Hi Kev,

the foul on the engine is not that obvious seen from here but this possibly comes from the 12000 km between us ;)

What surprised me this that you removed the masking before you completed the paint job. Masking is one of the task I like the less so when it is done, I usualy try not to remove it until I am 100% sure I am done with the paintjob.

Is there any reason why you did so?

Ta,

loic

Hi Loic,

I didn't really mask it properly in the first place! I tend to spray only tiny volumes of paint if I can help it, and with an area like the engine front, I've found that I can often get away with simply holding a Post-It note in front of it. However, due to the troubles I had with getting the mix ratio right for the Mr Surfacer, I had it coming out in much larger volumes than I was trying for. Oh well.

To be honest I wouldn't even know how to mask that area properly - there's nothing for the tape to grip on to aside from the engine itself, but I should probably learn from this latest mistake and give it a go. Any suggestions about a good method?

Kev

To be honest I wouldn't even know how to mask that area properly - there's nothing for the tape to grip on to aside from the engine itself, but I should probably learn from this latest mistake and give it a go. Any suggestions about a good method?

Would wet tissue* work (re-wetting it to get it off, to prevent tearing all the pretty detail, not that I have done this on anything myself ever ;))?

Patrick

* Or bog roll, to be indelicate

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've come up with a 'fudge' method that seems to work well enough, though I still have to be careful:

post-3071-1212821404.jpg

As you can see, there are still a couple of exposed areas, but I can deal with those as I need to. Also in evidence is my work on some of the rough spots.

I've given the poor girl another coat of Mr Surfacer, but today was clearly not the day to be airbrushing. Though it isn't raining, there's plenty of moisture about, and for the first time ever, my airbrush began spitting out gobs of water onto the model. :angry: It's all easily fixed of course, but this model seems determined to fight me all the way to the finish line.

Kev

Kev,

VERY NICE SAVE, I can't wait to see Her done, for you AMS= Another Model Saved ;)

Peace and Blessings your way and have a Great Day at the bench.

Alfonso "Kaeone57"

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've come up with a 'fudge' method that seems to work well enough, though I still have to be careful:

post-3071-1212821404.jpg

As you can see, there are still a couple of exposed areas, but I can deal with those as I need to. Also in evidence is my work on some of the rough spots.

I've given the poor girl another coat of Mr Surfacer, but today was clearly not the day to be airbrushing. Though it isn't raining, there's plenty of moisture about, and for the first time ever, my airbrush began spitting out gobs of water onto the model. :angry: It's all easily fixed of course, but this model seems determined to fight me all the way to the finish line.

Kev

Hi Kevin,

Try cling film next time, you know the plastic foil you put food in before leaving it too long in the cooling and tossing it away after all. You can buy it in any supermarket.

Works fine with me. You E s beautifull btw.

Rick.

Hi Kevin,

Try cling film next time, you know the plastic foil you put food in before leaving it too long in the cooling and tossing it away after all. You can buy it in any supermarket.

Works fine with me. You E s beautifull btw.

Rick.

Thanks Rick, that's not a bad idea. How come I never think of these things? :rolleyes:

:lol:

Kev

Though it isn't raining, there's plenty of moisture about, and for the first time ever, my airbrush began spitting out gobs of water onto the model.

Do you have a water trap on your compressor? It's a must, especially if you live in an area with higher humidity....

Do you have a water trap on your compressor? It's a must, especially if you live in an area with higher humidity....

Well, there's a glass tube at the bottom of the outlet valve, which I've always assumed to be a moisture trap. There's a screw assembly at the bottom of that, which I've taken to be the pressure regulator, since when I adjust it, the output pressure changes. It's also one of the reasons that I can't spray below about 20PSI, as if I loosen the nut to that point, after about 30 seconds of spraying, it falls off! Perhaps I've got the whole thing wrong? It's a Sparmax oil-less compressor, if that matters at all. I'll try to post a photo of it and maybe wiser heads than mine can point me in the right direction.

Kev

Kev,

VERY NICE SAVE, I can't wait to see Her done, for you AMS= Another Model Saved :rolleyes:

Peace and Blessings your way and have a Great Day at the bench.

Alfonso "Kaeone57"

Thanks Alfonso. Another nice take on AMS! I plan to write a book one day called "A Series of Unfortunate Models".

:lol:

Kev

Well, there's a glass tube at the bottom of the outlet valve, which I've always assumed to be a moisture trap. There's a screw assembly at the bottom of that, which I've taken to be the pressure regulator, since when I adjust it, the output pressure changes. It's also one of the reasons that I can't spray below about 20PSI, as if I loosen the nut to that point, after about 30 seconds of spraying, it falls off! Perhaps I've got the whole thing wrong? It's a Sparmax oil-less compressor, if that matters at all. I'll try to post a photo of it and maybe wiser heads than mine can point me in the right direction.

Kev

At least on the units I had to do with, the screw at the bottom of the glass tube is to empty the moisture trap. The pressure regulator valve should usually be directly behind the moisture trap.

At least on the units I had to do with, the screw at the bottom of the glass tube is to empty the moisture trap. The pressure regulator valve should usually be directly behind the moisture trap.

Thanks KOTR. I can't see anything on mine like that. I thought I'd post some photos of the unit for more knowledgeable members than I to assess. First, the overall unit:

post-3071-1212876748.jpg

The pressure gauge and moisture trap assembly:

post-3071-1212876770.jpg

And finally, the moisture trap itself, complete with moisture:

post-3071-1212876798.jpg

The red arrow points to the screw I was talking about earlier. It's the only external moving part, so as far as I can tell, it has to be the pressure regulator. It's certainly useless at draining the moisture trap, as I tried that! Anyway, unscrewing it to the point where you get less than 20 PSI causes it to fall out, giving you 0 PSI. It's frustrating because it means I can't experiment with any low-pressure painting techniques.

Does anybody have a different take on what all the bits are?

Kev

Kev,

I just stepped in to see how she looks, and read your compressor trouble. I don't

know the brand or make, so to trouble shoot I would suggest wrap and trap the airline

around your painting hand so you can kink it, so as to control your own pressure

out take to the gun keeping an eye on your gauge till she gets where you want.

It is hard to explain in words without you and I speaking at the same time. I also

don't know if you have a single action or a double or if you have one free hand so

that you could just kink it with the other while you spray....

I will be monitoring around and if I see you online I will hit you up, if OK with you,

Alfonso