Rare bird- Heinkel He 219A "Uhu'

Graham,

Thank you. I have read Brians' build (or torment, others would perhaps say ;) ) of the ID vac. I am not going to add so much detail. It will be a clean airframe, only the canopy will be open.

Hans

A small update... can't let Thor do all the hard work..

I have measured up the fuselage and wings using scaled up drawings that come with the Tamiya kit (they are 1:48, very convenient).

I compared them with another set of drawings in 1:72, enlarged to 1:32. They were published in the 1946 book "Aircraft of the fighting powers vol. VII" by Owen Thetford. Both drawings are an almost exact match as they should be as for both the real aircraft was measured up (different airframes though). There are some small discrepancies, most notable the engine nacelles on the Tamiya drawing being a bit longer. The reason for this is perhaps the fact that the He 219 airframes were constantly being modified by Ernst Heinkel in order to sell more of them to the Luftwaffe.

I noticed that the vacs' wings are off by between 4 and 8 mm chordwise and that the engine nacelle is too wide by 4 mm. The length of the wings is almost spot on. At the moment I have not yet decided how to solve this problem. Cutting the wing from the nacelle an building new nacelles or completely scratch both wings and nacelles. This makes it perhaps easier to build the undercarriage bay and install flaps ans ailerons.

The fuselage is too high, some 2 to 3 mm and a bit too short.

I have yet to check the airfoil of the wings and the crosssections of the nacelles and fuselage. I spend part of yesterday checking and drawing these on the Tamiya kit using an contour gauge. After enlarging the to the "proper scale' I"ll lay them over the the vac and see what has to be done (or not).

Interesting! It seems the plans we have differ slightly. Upon further looking, I did notice the chord of the i/b wings is too large on my sample also. Not sure How I am gonna fix that yet. It seems that the fuselage length is spot on using the Tamiya Plans.

What areas do you think you will tackle first? I am thinking of working the fuselage and tail group- Primarily because if its not right, I think the wing corrections might be in vain!

I like your approach so far. Keep it coming!!!!!!!!!!!!

THOR :rolleyes:

Thor, thank you for your kind comments. Your build looks very promising!

The first thing to do in my opinion is to check the crosssections and wingprofile. I agree with you that after that the most sensible thing to do is to work on the fuselage and tail and to correct it where neccesary. Thereafter it is time to add detail, make a cockpit and work on the nose and main undercarriage and build the circular engine front. The idea is to build it in sections, just like a real aircraft.

I think it is easier to first build correctly scaled parts (engine front, undercart ect) and therafter fixing the inaccuracies of the vacs' wings than to do it the other way round.

Hans

Amen Brother! I think you are 100% correct. I will proceed with sanding down the fuselage halves and tail parts right now. I am going to make my corrections, and then go from there. I am debating how much detail to add. I am going to detail the cockpit, and the wheel wells. I might take the opportunity to open the fuel tank covers, and the Schrage Musik weapons bay also. Since I am making interior bulkheads, if I position them correctly, I might take the opportunity to detail the proper areas.....Cant wait to see what you do with her!

Rest assured, I will be picking your brain! :rolleyes:

THOR

Hans and Thor,

I agree with u both.never figured that as to doing the two i ahve built.But u'er ideas are better and treating the engine fronts,cockpit,gear wells as a seperate build.It works out as to getting the wings and etc. ready for their final positioning and making sure it's right before gluing in place.

Even with the ideas u have posted will help me out for my protype 219 later on this year as a scracthbuilt.And to u Hans.What precentage did u use to enlarge the tamiya 48th sheets.I never thought of that when i did the second one i built.Larry

Larry,

In order to enlarge your plans from 1:48 to 1:32 you should multiply the 1:48 plan by 1,5 which is the same as 150% on the photcopier.

You have to divide the scale you already have by (through?) the scale you want. Let's say your plans are 1:72 and you want them enlarged to 1:32 you simply divide 72:32 = 2,25 (=225%), the number you need to multply your 1:72 plans with to arrive at 1:32.

Best regards,

Hans