Rearming the Luftwaffe!

Well, this will be my first contribution for this group build. As it seems, everyone is going for a pre-1945 plane, I feel obliged to set a little counterweight and show how everything startet again in 1957 :rolleyes:

When it was decided to form a new west german army, Canada offered Germany 75 Sabre Mk.5's as a gift - well, the planes were for free, but spare part prices were actually a rip-off :blink: Nontheless, Germany decided bought another 225 Mk.6, forming the back of the new Bundesluftwaffe as day fighter, until a more modern fighter was introduced - the legendary F-104G Widowma... errr, Starfighter. :P

I'll start off with Hasegawas F-86F-40, and will probably add a Black Box resin cockpit (anyone in Europe willing to sell me one for a reasonable price? :rolleyes: ). I have the idea of opening one of the gun bays and add some more details, including a little scene where two mechanics change one of the guns. Well, I'll see...

The airplane will be one of JG 72, but unlike in the graphic below (from Wikipedia) one of the second squadron, with yellow intake/stabilizer leading edge...

post-905-1203024015.jpg

post-905-1203024034.jpg

Not that you would, of course ... but don't forget to add the Sabre 6's most distinguishing feature: the "sugar-scoop" intakes just aft of the traling edge of the wing -- e.g., see the second and fourth photos in Mike Robertson's feature article on Hyperscale. According to AMS Resins' website, they can provide those scoops in both 1/48- and 1/32-scale.

Usual disclaimer,

Charles Metz