Sea Fury?

DaveJ

Steve (Kopterdoctor) has inspired me even more than I already was!

With the Phantom in the 'finished' column I feel the need to do a real quick build. The Spitfire, with the re-scribing, is just a tad more effort than want to expend just at the moment, though it will certainly get finished after this one.

I received my two Hobby Craft Sea Furys from Sprue Brothers today. I ordered the 'Cold War Warriors' and 'Nato Defender' boxings so I'd have a variety of schemes to choose from. For this build, I tore open the first box I laid my hands on which is the Cold War Warriors box.

BoxOne800x.jpg

BoxTwo800x.jpg

I haven't made any decisions on which scheme yet but am leaning in the direction of the Cuban bird just because it's very different. With one more HC Fury and a Fisher in the stash I don't want all of them to end-up with similar schemes. We shall see. Maybe an Aussie bird dedicated to Matty and Kev?

It's not a perfect kit. If the fit is even half-decent though it will be perfect for my intent with this build!! Straight OOB, fun, easy and quick!

A very cursory dry-fitting of the major components of the airframe seems to indicate a pretty good fit overall! The leading and trailing edges of the wings are quite thick but not anything I'm going to deal with on this build. The cockpit is almost devoid of any detail, as anyone who's been reading the threads knows. Between the interior colors and the very small opening it's not going to matter much anyway! I'd like to have this kit in primer by Sunday night........

This is gonna be fun!

Maybe an Aussie bird dedicated to Matty and Kev?

I'd be a bit torn myself I think. National pride would incline me toward an Aussie bird, but I actually prefer the look of the FAA scheme. The other schemes on the box do look quite unusual though. Sounds like you've got enough kits to do one of each!

Kev

I'd be a bit torn myself I think. National pride would incline me toward an Aussie bird, but I actually prefer the look of the FAA scheme. The other schemes on the box do look quite unusual though. Sounds like you've got enough kits to do one of each!

Kev

I prefer the FAA colors myself, but it's like you said, with a few to build I want some variety. Besides, It seems I never do the more obscure schemes. I've been thinking Royal Iranian for the Fisher kit!

Anywho. This kit is unusual! The main components go together with almost Tamiya-like ease! Little if any filling will be needed on the wings or fuselage. On the flip-side, the prop assembly couldn't be much more poorly engineered, and fitting the cockpit is mostly guesswork. Odd. It's really going quickly though!

TapeThree800x.jpg

TapeTwo800x.jpg

TapeOne800x.jpg

Good times!

Fast work Dave! I can certainly see what people mean when they complain about the lack of finesse with the kit's panel lines. It'll be interesting to see how they come up under a coat or two of primer and paint.

Kev

Fast work Dave! I can certainly see what people mean when they complain about the lack of finesse with the kit's panel lines. It'll be interesting to see how they come up under a coat or two of primer and paint.

Kev

Lack of finesse. Uhhh yep! You could say that. :P I think they'd scale up to about 3 inches.

That looks like a fun little quick build... looking forward to seeing more.

It actually is! I've really determined that I'm going to keep everything else in perspective with this kit and enjoy it for what it is.

Please let us know what you think of the canopy, esp the windscreen/hood frame. I thought that it should be a lot more vertical, and not angled forward like a '57 Thunderbird...... :lol:

Comparing the canopy from this against the Fisher canopy, there is a distinct difference in the angle with this one being much more raked.

I have a couple of 1/48 Hobby Craft kits in the stash. Looking at them I can not claim to be surprised in the least with this kit. That being said, it certainly seems like this will build-up into a decent Sea Fury! I can certainly envision the aftermarket releasing a better cockpit, landing gear / bay and maybe prop / spinner. If one were really determined they might want to fill all the panel lines and re-scribe something more delicate. It's no Tamigawa kit for certain, but it's less than half the price of a new Tamigawa kit too!

I don't regret buying it at all. In fact, I'm glad I bought two! This kit fills a niche' and is pretty nice for what it is.

Hacker, it's as I suspected. Same kit, different decals.

Assembly of the primary airframe is complete. The cockpit tub is a bit too narrow to fit into the fuselage properly, so strips of 0.030 styrene had to be added to the outer edges of the panels so it would attach correctly. A word about the 'cockpit' in this kit. There is very little detail, and what there is makes no sense at all, especially close-up. Once it's painted black, dry-brushed a bit and then installed it actually gives a decent 'impression' of a cockpit when viewed from a normal viewing distance.

This will need a small amount of sanding and prep before it gets a coat of primer. Surprisingly little though!

PrePrimer1800x.jpg

PrePrimer2800x.jpg

PrePrimer3800x.jpg