My 21C, BF 109

kopterdoctor

Nice, clean build, but where are the vertical stabilizer swastikas?

I have the kit in my closet, but can't remember if they include them or not.

None of that "head in the sand" sort of business I hope. ;)

Really very nice, Steve! My own personal tastes run a bit more towards the grimy and dirty but that doesn't detract at all from a great build you've done! I am really going to have to give one of these 21st kits a try at some point...

Hi Guys

Mike

They did come with the kit but with this decal scheme they are not used.

Dave

I would have weathered it, but I was thinking like I was a 14 year old.

Back then I had no clue how to do that.

Before it goes to my office it will get the full treatment.

I’ll post pic’s then.

Steve

Hi Guys

Mike

They did come with the kit but with this decal scheme they are not used.

Dave

Steve

How strange. Was the lack of the usual tail swastika on this example perchance the result of the following:

While JG53 was making a reputation for itself during the Battle of Britain, information fell to Reichsmarshall Goering that Major Jurgen von Cramon-Taubadel's wife was Jewish. Inflamed at this fact, Goering ordered the whole of Stab.JG53 to remove the "Pik As" from their planes, and replace it with a red stripe around the engine cowling of their Bf-109's, as punishment for this "outrageous insult to the Fuhrer." All of Stab.JG53's planes immediately were stripped of their "Pik As" insignia, but soon afterward, the whole of Stab.JG53 stripped the swastikas off the tails of their planes in protest to this "mark of shame." During the entire Battle of Britain, Stab.JG53's planes were easily recognizable because of the red band around their engine cowlings, as well as the absence of a swastika on the tail of their Bf-109's. Soon after the battle, due, no doubt to the protest of the pilots, Stab.JG53 was allowed to paint the "Pik As" back on their Bf-109's, and remove the red band from their cowlings.