Hasegawa Me 163 Komet

LSP_Kevin

This kit's been in the stash a long time, and the decals look shot. I've got them taped to an appropriate window in an attempt to whiten them, but I suspect I'll be chasing some replacements before I finish. I also don't appear to have an actual painting guide in my box, and since I bought it new, I'm assuming it just didn't come with one. Seems odd though.

No photos yet, but I'd like to have a crack at knocking this one off before I go back to work on the 17th (yeah, right!). Another convenient way of avoiding the cockpit in my Zero rebuild! <_<

Kev

I don't appear to have an actual painting guide in my box, and since I bought it new, I'm assuming it just didn't come with one. Seems odd though.

I've got one too! Looks as bad as my 190... some other day.

Painting guide is on a separate, glossy sheet. I'll take some nice big pics later and link you to my photobucket.

Keith.

I've got one too! Looks as bad as my 190... some other day.

Painting guide is on a separate, glossy sheet. I'll take some nice big pics later and link you to my photobucket.

Keith.

Thanks Keith. Appreciated!

Kev

Awesome!!!

Really glad to have you in the group! I'll even periodically prod you on the Zero just to keep things properly balanced. :lol: Trying to scratch a cockpit like that makes me go all fuzzy-headed just thinking about it... A nice OOB kit on the other side of the bench is just the ticket to prevent too much AMS creeping in.

Here we go Kev;

The BIG picture

All four schemes including the silly red one, which everybody does. Sorry it's a bit fuzzy.

Fat lot of good it'll do you if you want to do the splinter camo- they only show you one side.

Tony Mollica is doing a very cool build of one of these. Amongst the thread there's an excellent link to a 163 site which gives fantastic detail on what the correct colours should be.

Also, aftermarket decals here and here... if you think you need them.

With all the kits I end up re-animating, I've really come to appreciate after market decals. There was a time when a kit was a write off if you buggered up the decals.

Not any more!

(Is there a competition to see how many links we can squeeze into a single post?)

Thanks guys!

Tony, see my PM reply.

Keith, great info, thanks! Not keen on the red scheme to be honest, but I don't have anything particular in mind. Not actually that fussed really!

I meant to start cutting plastic already, but hopefully by the next update I'll have something to show.

Kev

Well, I guess it's time to post some pix. I haven't been able to do all that much really - too much time spent watching the cricket! Anyway, here's what I've started with:

post-3071-1199356649.jpg

Also in that shot is my one and only reference on the type, though I suspect I've got a few magazine articles floating around somewhere, and possibly a chapter in Wings of the Luftwaffe too (must remember to check!). The kit itself has a little bit of flash here and there, but overall seems quite nice.

As far as actual modelling goes, I've got the main wings together, and have rescribed some select panel lines:

post-3071-1199356661.jpg

At first I thought the wings were seriously warped, but both top halves were identical, and I suspect it's just some moulded-in wash-out on the wings. Hopefully it'll look OK once the airframe is fully assembled. I've also started in on the engine parts, but you'll only see the very end of the exhaust nozzle, as I'll be closing everything up. (For those of you unfamiliar with this kit, or who haven't been following Tony Mollica's build, Hasegawa would have you assemble the fuselage into front and rear halves, and leave the rear half removable to expose the engine - yes, the entire rear half of the fuselage! No way...) It's a pity actually, because I think the engine would look great once detailed and painted up.

After leaving the kit decals taped to a sun-facing window for a couple of days, they seem to have come up much improved, so I'll probably attempt to use them at this stage. My only concern is with Hasegawa's patented shade of non-white for the national markings, but they'll probably do.

Thanks for looking.

Kev

Finally some more progress, with the cockpit done. I really struggled to get photos of it (empathising with Keith here), as I'm still adjusting to a new and much more sophisticated camera. Hopefully you can make something out here:

post-3071-1199587094.jpg

post-3071-1199587103.jpg

It's strictly OOB, mostly so I'm in accordance with the rules, but also because I don't have any decent cockpit references, and am feeling incredibly lazy. I've just noticed I've forgotten to add the last lever too! <_< I'll put some flatting agent on that bright shiny trim wheel too...

Kev

You've made a nice showing of a very sparse kit cockpit, Mate! From what I can see it seems like you've shaded the oxygen hose really well because I can see the detail perfectly. Dry-brushed?

The new photo equipment seems to be helpful as well. How are you lighting your shots now?

How does the IP look OOB? Workable I hope?

You've made a nice showing of a very sparse kit cockpit, Mate! From what I can see it seems like you've shaded the oxygen hose really well because I can see the detail perfectly. Dry-brushed?

The new photo equipment seems to be helpful as well. How are you lighting your shots now?

How does the IP look OOB? Workable I hope?

Yeah, I washed and then dry-brushed the whole thing. My dry-brushing sucks, but I think I got away with it. I haven't really been able to settle on a suitable brush for the technique, and so haven't really been happy with my results so far. What do other guys use?

The kit IP is just raised detail, so it'll be more washing, dry-brushing and highlighting, again with aim of 'getting away with it'. Of course, I've just glued the cockpit tub into the right fuselage half, failing to notice that the instructions tell me to install the (as yet untouched) IP first! <_< Here's hoping I can still squeeze it in when it's ready.

As far as the photography is concerned, the original shots came out slightly out of focus and way too dark. I processed them heavily in Fireworks (which I tend to prefer over Photoshop for web-based work) to get them to where they are. I've only got my room lighting (which is poor), and my overhead modelling lamp. Having no dedicated space for taking photos, I just place the model or parts on a sheet of white paper and do my best - sometimes not even that! The new camera is very capable, so I just need to learn how to use it better, but my inadequate lighting is certainly a problem. I've been looking at portable light tents, but can't really justify one at the moment. I reckon one would help greatly though.

Kev

Got the instrument panel done. It's not too flash, but should be adequate once installed in the cockpit. I plan to leave the canopy closed, so hopefully the dire nature of the cockpit won't be too obvious!

post-3071-1199744700.jpg

I really need to get hold of some of those Mike Grant instrument decals (or their equivalent).

I'm starting to research some colours now, and as usual, am left more confused than enlightened. It seems that Komet schemes varied greatly, but the kit's painting guide doesn't offer any colour call-outs in English, and is generally not very helpful. I'm looking to do one of the top three schemes:

post-3071-1199745117.jpg

I'm leaning towards the top one, simply because my airbrushing skills are mottling-challenged (but I will admit the others are more interesting). It looks like 70/71 over 65 to me, but I'd like other, more expert, opinions. As for the other schemes, I'm completely clueless!

Kev