Sign in to follow this  
DaveJ

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb

My entry in this GB will be the 1/32 Spitfire Vb.

The first thing I learned when I opened the box is that this kit has raised panel lines. :P

The only thing I hate worse than raised panel lines is re-scribing, but I'm going to have a go at it on this one. I guess it makes me a kit snob that this is the first I've had to deal with this?

It will be Box Stock with the exception of a decal sheet from Tech Mod. The insignia on the kit sheet are awful! The dark blue in the roundels looks black.....

Total investment stands at around $40.00 for everything.

I can't say I much enjoy rescribing either Dave, but then I seem to insist on building kits that need it! It's a lot of work, but certainly worth it in a large scale. Let me know if you need some pointers, though I can hardly claim to be an expert at it. Also, check out Charles' article on the subject at IPMS Stockholm.

I'm interested in seeing how you fare with the Techmod decals. I've heard they can be tricky, and I have at least one set in the stash to use at some point.

Bring it on Dave!

Kev

Thanks Kev!

Not looking forward to the scribing, but I'm also not going to spend a lifetime on it either. I'll probably spend more time on fixing the botched parts!

This is the box art although I won't be doing the clipped-wing tropical version. I recently finished a 1/48 Trop version so this will be different.

BoxArt800x.jpg

Hi Gang,

The re-scribing has begun, and is actually moving along OK. I have almost the whole lower wing section finished with not too many boo-boos to fix.

My big question is about the seat: I've only seen other modeler's representations of what the bakelite color is supposed to look like, and those examples are all over the map between very red to 'bad shellfish brown' and everything in between. How'd ya like that for a mental picture, eh?

Anywho. Is this even close to the right neighborhood?

post-3154-1199775634.jpg

Let me know?

Thanks!

Dave you'll love this ol' kit.One of the best,or my favorite old kit.If you need any spare parts I'm sure I can help you out...cheers

Dave you'll love this ol' kit.One of the best,or my favorite old kit.If you need any spare parts I'm sure I can help you out...cheers

Thanks Dave! I'm actually quite pleased with this kit so far, although I haven't even tried to fit anything yet so I can't speak to that. The level of detail is far from bad, in fact it's pretty decent! If it weren't for the raised details I'd be really singing it's praises as a budget-builder's dream. I can already envision coming around to another one of these at some point but going the after-market-super-detailing route.

I appreciate the offer on the spares also! :D Provided I don't botch anything too badly I should be in good shape. Fingers crossed!

(Anyone got an opinion for me on that seat color?)

I am not sure you can be 'wrong' with the bakelite color, except for maybe pink! Yours looks ok to me.

That paint stand sure looks familiar all covered in silver paint, you didn't steal it from my workbench, did you? :blink:

Just in case anyone was wondering if I'd abandoned my own GB....

I've been slowly but surely re-scribing this kit. This is not a favorite activity of mine so I can only do it for a short time before I have to stop.

This is how things look after a short time scribing:

post-3154-1201325034.jpg

Can't say for sure what the model looks like. :P

Bakelite looks fine. It's a nice kit.

Makes me want to get back to my Mk 1, which is well and truly stalled.

Keep the pics coming.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks, Ian. It does seem to be a pretty nice kit, scribing aside.

Speaking of... Here's the belly with all of the raised lines sanded off and the re-scribed lines in place. There are still a couple of areas to fill and re-scribe but at least it looks like I've been doing something with it. The smartest thing I've done so far was to tape the main airframe together. Now that it looks like a Spitfire I'm probably going to get a lot more done a lot faster. I know that people say it all the time but the Spitfire is so elegant and sleek that it's hard to imagine a much better looking airplane.

ScribedBelly1800x.jpg

Looks like you've got the hang of rescribing Dave - it's looking really good. What did you use for guides and templates? Some of your curves and corners look great (ahem ;) ). Actually, I can see them in the background of your photo - they look similar to the Hasegawa jobbies I have, but with a greater variety of shapes. What be they?

Kev

Looks like you've got the hang of rescribing Dave - it's looking really good. What did you use for guides and templates? Some of your curves and corners look great (ahem :blink: ). Actually, I can see them in the background of your photo - they look similar to the Hasegawa jobbies I have, but with a greater variety of shapes. What be they?

Kev

My friend, you crack me up! Thanks for admiring my curves and all... ;)

I'm sorry to say that I can't recall the brand of the templates, but I can say that they're sold as 1/48 scale. With the exception of some of the very specific patterns it doesn't seem to have made any difference since I've been able to find a match for all of the circles and access panels so far. The set has a third panel to go with the two in that picture. All of the straight lines I did free-hand using the raised lines as a guide. I used the Bare Metal scriber, and as long as I was very gentle with the first pass or two to get a line started it went very well. There are still many slips to fix that don't really show in the picture.

I hate to admit it, but after I taped the airframe together I actually caught myself flying it around making airplane noises!!! Now I gotta get that Phantom phinished so I can get on to this one. And I Can. Not. WAIT for the Pacific Coast Spitfires to finally ship!!!!! (I have both kits pre-ordered...)

I'm sorry to say that I can't recall the brand of the templates

Looks like a Verlinden template. You've done a better job on some of the curves than I have.

How'd you go with the step at the rear of the wing insert under the fuselage? I'm doing the Revell Mk 1, which is a new wing on the same fuselage, and had problems, as you can see from the thread. You've got a bit of blue tape over the area, but seem to have handled it fine.

Ian

I'm sorry to say that I can't recall the brand of the templates

Looks like a Verlinden template. You've done a better job on some of the curves than I have.

How'd you go with the step at the rear of the wing insert under the fuselage? I'm doing the Revell Mk 1, which is a new wing on the same fuselage, and had problems, as you can see from the thread. You've got a bit of blue tape over the area, but seem to have handled it fine.

Ian

I think you may be right on the template. I've had them for a while but this is the first I've used them since I must confess that I'm a kit-snob and usually only touch new-tool kits. While trying to make the transition from 'assembler' to 'builder' however, things like scribing are part of that process for me.

From my taped mock-up, it seems like the join at the rear of the lower wing and rear fuselage is very clean. It also seems like I will need to glue the upper wing sections to the fuse first and only then add the lower wing section. There will be a slight step at the center/front of the lower fuselage but everything else should go together fairly cleanly. That step should be an easy fix relatively speaking.

Sign in to follow this