Hasegawa Fw 190A-8

Allok

Mate, I can see how you earned the re-animator tag.

This is a fascinating build! And your defence of the skerrick of perfectly acceptable scratch building you were forced to use was up there with Eric "Otter" Stratten's defence of the toga party in Animal House-a classic of its kind!

Ian

Thanks for the vote of support guys. The encouragement helps a lot.

This is not really an update but...

Last night, the courier dropped off a pair of "new tool" Focke Wulfs that I ordered from Sprue Bros. I don't very often get the chance to buy brand new models so this was a bit of a treat.

In the box were the 190D-9 of Rudels and the 190A-5 flown by Priller. The new A is MILES better that the one I'm attacking here. Beautifully done cockpit, one piece canopy and accurately detailed wheel wells. I am assuming that Hasegawa elected to omit the detail in the rear of the engine bay and cannon area so that they could improve these other details. As I never leave my engine or gun bays open (sorry Brian) I guess these kits are designed specifically for modellers like me. Perfect!

and Matty!!! :rolleyes:

;) ;) vot is zis?

Keith...looking great as always. Gotta say, the effect of the stripped paint looks really good for a nicely beaten up model. There is a clear parts sanding tutorial that will show how to get that canopy pretty much perfect. This kit is a bit of a bear on the wing to fusleage join eh?

Cheers Matty

and Matty!!! :rolleyes:

;) ;) vot is zis?

Keith...looking great as always. Gotta say, the effect of the stripped paint looks really good for a nicely beaten up model. There is a clear parts sanding tutorial that will show how to get that canopy pretty much perfect. This kit is a bit of a bear on the wing to fusleage join eh?

Cheers Matty

Hi there Matt.

The mostly removed paint certainly has created an interesting effect but now that my "Crandall Cals" have arrived, I can't wait to cover it all up.

I read the clear parts recovery post thoroughly and gave it a shot. My main barrier was the fragility of the old canopy (You can see lots of hair-line fractures near the leading edge) and the other problem was the quantity of glue on it. In the end, it turned out as good as I could expect.

The Fuse/wing mating... Mmmm.

This was not flash on this model. Might have been partially due to the fact that someone had built it before.

Still, all fixed now.

I suppose I should get off the net and start painting.

It's hard to believe that's the same kit.

Words of truth!

There is always a significant transformation once the main colours start going on, particularly in this case.

Pictures17.jpg

I really like the colour scheme on this one. Although I'm still coming to grips with the purple tint in the grey and the black nose is reminiscent of pre-war German civillian aircraft.

This is the first time I've tried to paint German camo in this order and free-hand. The excellent coverage of the Tamiya Acrylics makes this possible and leaves a nice subtle mottling effect.

More to come.

Bit of an update.

With all the main painting complete (Darins wavy leading edges must be rubbing off on me) and the window frames hand painted, I'm starting to glue parts back on:

Pictures18.jpg

Pictures19.jpg

Quietly begining to look like a 190 again.

• 2 weeks later...

Up on it's own wheels:

Pictures020.jpg

Pictures021.jpg

Many adjusments and re-adjustments to the undercarriage were necessary to get it to sit right. This a common problem when trying to fit large numbers of hand made parts.

I also changed my mind about the tail wheel colour. The profiles show the rim in RLM 02 with a pinstripe white-wall tyre. All the pics I've seen show a plain tyre and a black rim. Looks better like this (I think)

I had to re-align the engine again as there is no tolerence between the cowl and the cooling fan so it had to be exactly in the centre.