Arado 234 direction finder help?

tigger

O.K. Guys as you may know I am rapidly progressing with my build of the Arado 234 kit from MDC/ RB productions.

So far I have not hit any real issues but I am struggling with reference for the spine mounted Direction Finder!

Not the loop antenna but the one burried in the spine with the face like a compressor blade and a clear cover.

Can anyone provide some reference of this piece of kit? Decent photo's and painting guide would go a long way. So if you have anything please post it as I am stuck on that.

Cheers for now, thank you in advance

John ^_^

The only clear overhead photos I could find of the Ar-234 are of the one in the NASM. There are 3 or 4 good color pics of it from above and there is no visible sign of the suppressed D/F antenna where it's supposed to be. Best I can refer you to are 2 color profiles in German Air Force Bombers of WWII, Vol. 2, by Alfred Price, Doubleday 1971. These portray the antenna disk in light gray with black splines. Profiles of the He-219, which also used that type of antenna, show it the same way.

Hi John

I found this assuming it is the same thing?

2d6sm79.jpg

Although it doesn't show any colours. I would be grateful if you could post or email me what you have. Thank you in advance

John ^_^

It is my understanding that the "star" was simply aluminium foil attached to the clear plastic cover. The housing, I would assume, was made of something non-metallic (?) perhaps bakelite or plastic? Were I to do the thing, I'd do the star in aluminium and the compartment in "dark" something or other.

That is the antenna alright. Would like to know where you got those pics. It looks brand new.

As I said before, the aircraft at the NASM shows no sign of this device, even though all Ar-234's produced, with the possible exception of the early prototypes, had it installed. All I can think of is that it was damaged beyond repair and the restorers covered the opening in the top of the fuselage with sheet metal and painted it over. A glaring error in an otherwise fine restoration.

That is the antenna alright. Would like to know where you got those pics. It looks brand new.

As I said before, the aircraft at the NASM shows no sign of this device, even though all Ar-234's produced, with the possible exception of the early prototypes, had it installed. All I can think of is that it was damaged beyond repair and the restorers covered the opening in the top of the fuselage with sheet metal and painted it over. A glaring error in an otherwise fine restoration.

The NASM restored aircraft is missing a lot of equipment. For example, the "radio rack" is missing from the right rear wall of the cockpit. Also, there is no trace of the camera doors on the underside. All tyres are replacements. Otherwise, it is a good restoration.

Radu