Airfix 1/24th Spitfire I Finished

Gary

Hello,

Here's my big Airfix Spitfire I. I bought it in Germany in 1987, botched the job over the next few years, then started to get it done for-real about a year ago. It's a combination of semi-obsolescent techniques and up-to-date methods picked up over the years. The paint is Xtracolor, with serial, squadron and national markings masked and airbrushed. Weathering is minimal, as the aircraft arrived on squadron in early August 1940, and was totally destroyed in a collision with an Me 110 in late September of that year. I think it turned out all right given its age (not to mention mine) and the fact that I could not correct all the mistakes of two decades ago.

post-2766-1196738915.jpg post-2766-1196738640.jpg post-2766-1196738669.jpg post-2766-1196738688.jpg

This aircraft (X4107, 609 Squadron, Royal Air Force) was usually flown by Flying Officer Keith "Skeets" Ogilvy. He was a Canadian from Ottawa, Ontario who joined the Royal Air Force just before the Second World War started. He flew X4107 on September 15, 1940, and was credited with a Do 217 destroyed over London. Another pilot was at the controls of X4107 when it struck the Me 110 in late September 1940.

Best Regards to All,

Gary

Nice work there Gary, I am (slowly) building this very kit at the moment, so I appreciate all the deficiencies the kit possesses. It'd be great if you could post some bigger pics to better show the huge amount of work you've obviously put into the old beast! ;)

Cheers mate

Ango

Gary, I actually downloaded a picture from your last post because the model though incomplete was so beautiful (of course the pictures were larger hint hint!). Do please post some close-ups; we're all aware of the kit's shortcomings and won't hold them against you ;) .

Jean

Hi, Everyone,

Thanks for your very kind comments. I'll try a bit of guesswork and get a few larger images posted, now that I have a clearer idea of how to do it. Here are two overviews, port and starboard. I'll post a few more messages with more photos later today.

Cheers, All, and thanks again!

Gary

post-2766-1196782404.jpg

post-2766-1196785687.jpg

Ahh, you can never get tired of looking can you....lovely finish, and a nice job on the masking for the markings, I know from personal experience how much effort that takes. ;)

Hi,

Here are a few more shots. I scratchbuilt the flaps, which meant that I had to thin out the upper wing surface to accommodate the flap actuating gear. You can see that some of the work is not the greatest. This is what I meant when I alluded to skills of twenty-odd years ago.

post-2766-1196787327.jpg

I added the warm air vents to the wing outboard undersides by forming the vents from thin lead foil sheet stretched/burnished over the vents on a Trumpeter Spitfire Vb (a future project). These were then cut out of the foil using a new blade, and attached with CA glue plus a smidge of thinned white glue to fair them in. The markings were airbrushed (mostly Xtracolor), stencils (dry transfer) came from HobbyDecal. These guys were great, by the way: when I had problems with the application, they had a new sheet to me in a matter of days.

post-2766-1196787350.jpg

And, this is what I had to start with, 20 years after purchase!

post-2766-1196787712.jpg

I'll take a few more detail shots over the next few days and post them, hopefully, by the end of the week. And, if anyone has a better way of doing what I show, please let me know. You only stop learning when you're dead!

Cheers,

Gary

Hi, Tony,

Yes, that's him, all right! Didn't fare too well in the voting: really great work in the category, and my old-style problems came back to bite me a bit. All in all, though, I feel quite satisfied to raise it up to its present level. And there is always the Trumpeter 1/24th Spitfire V lurking in the stash!

Best Regards,

Gary