X-15A-2

Fancherello

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderfully done Mr. F., both the model and the photography. I'll definitely be picking up the AirModeller when it hits the shelves.

Your painting and weathering is very reminiscent of the top armour modellers' (Miguel Jimenez, Adam Wilder, Michael Rinaldi), and I mean that in a good way. Would you mind describing how you painted the scorch marks in the engine bell? It's a very distinctive pattern and you nailed it dead on. I've been pondering the sequence of steps to replicate it and have come up dry so far...

Cheers,

Tony

many thanks guys ! I'm glad you like this model !

Tony, thanks a lot ! I'm blushing with your kind words ! I'm glad you noticed that I got inspired by land modelling techniques: I really think that any kind of modelling has good techniques to "import" in air modelling. Especially for texture renditions which is one of the intersts of large scales in my opinion. Figure painting is also very helpul for cockpit painting so that one can get a luminous rendition inside a dark area, and so on...

The exhaust can: pictures show different look: sometimes it was rather dark, sometimes very light. I took a picture in the period I was depicting and went for a dark one.

here are the different steps:

-spray a light cream shade in the can

-spray a sand shade on the exterior half ( forefront ? )

-use thin tamiya tape to mask the twelve "fingers" which have to remain light.

-prepare a mix of what I call in french "false black", I mean black+sand yellow, and spray the petals aligned on the mask strips

-remove the masks

-spray the rouded pars ending the petal shapes, with the airflow directed towards the inside of the can to ensure a soft color transition.

Sorry for my poor English, I'll check with David Parker so that the article text will be I hope moer understandable !

cheers

Fanch

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...