Komet !

Tony Mollica

I'd love to get to Box Hill, but this time I'll be at my son's cricket teams parents vs sons end of season game. At least I get to spend some quality family time.

Shame it's at the same time, I really like swap meets and I always seem to have a shopping list

Cheers

Tony

Ah well, maybe next time mate! I'm sure we can catch up at Expo if not before.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit I'm struggling with the motivation a bit on this one. I keep finding things to do other than modelling, which usually means I need a new subject. The catch is, I'm trying to wind back the number of concurrent kits I'm building, so I don't want to start another.

I think that sometimes I mentally move on to the next model before the current one is completed.

I keep putting off spraying because it's been so hot. 40 degrees C tomorrow.

Anyway, it is progressing, the nose is yellow now, the armoured glass windshield is on, the seat is back in, I reckon there's about 10 hours left in it.

Maybe if I time myself I'll find the motivation to finish it instead of looking at it, or surfing the bloody net.

I might try for daily updates here just to discipline myself to keep pushing.

Cheers for now

Tony

I must admit I'm struggling with the motivation a bit on this one. I keep finding things to do other than modelling, which usually means I need a new subject. The catch is, I'm trying to wind back the number of concurrent kits I'm building, so I don't want to start another.

I think that sometimes I mentally move on to the next model before the current one is completed.

I keep putting off spraying because it's been so hot. 40 degrees C tomorrow.

Anyway, it is progressing, the nose is yellow now, the armoured glass windshield is on, the seat is back in, I reckon there's about 10 hours left in it.

Maybe if I time myself I'll find the motivation to finish it instead of looking at it, or surfing the bloody net.

I might try for daily updates here just to discipline myself to keep pushing.

Cheers for now

Tony

I'm in much the same boat Tony, though time is my greatest limiting factor at the moment. The daily updates approach has worked for me in the past, but you have to be careful not to push it too much, or you end up resenting the whole thing. Sometimes it's better just to walk away for a while. Did you finish your Zero?

Kev

I'm in much the same boat Tony, though time is my greatest limiting factor at the moment. The daily updates approach has worked for me in the past, but you have to be careful not to push it too much, or you end up resenting the whole thing. Sometimes it's better just to walk away for a while. Did you finish your Zero?

Kev

Good advice Kev, not much progress on the Zeke either I'm afraid

• 9 months later...

Well at least I know that the paint is really dry ! It's now the summer after my last post and it's going to be hot tomorrow. I've just picked this thing up again after a couple of Formula One cars and a 1/72 Hellcat that's being annoying me in it's half finished state for years. I'm not sure if this shows progress or not, you can see I've gone back to fix a couple of things on the fuselage sides and tail, but at least the nose is yellow now. I'll et the touching up dry over the hot days, and hopefully be ready to mottle later in the week.

Glad to be back !

Cheers

Tony

001-6.jpg

Thanks Mike, Kev and Matt.

I do plan to weather it, but it won't be a heavy job, as the service life was fairly short I think. I've just been down and bought some chalk pastels to assist with the process.

In the meantime, I'm got a short holiday coming up next week, so I will try to finish the spraying before I go, let it harden whilst I'm away, then hit the decals and finishing when I get back.

It's actually quite a few years since I last did some Luftwaffe mottled camo, so I do have some trepidation. I'll try to practice and get it down pat before it hits the model I guess.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Everyone,

Not much to report. I've masked up the upper wings and canopy, ready to do the mottle, and re-sprayed parts of the fuselage that I had reworked. I'm still not happy with the fuselage windows, so it looks like it goes back to the workshop again....

I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem, it must have been me.

Hopefully something a bit more substantial next time

Cheers

Tony

• 3 years later...

Hi Kev, John and Rod,

Thanks...I've been good Kev, but busy with other things. Hoaw are you ? I thought it was high time I complete some of these old builds, so I'm working on a B767-338 in Qantas colours that's even older than this one, then back to a rebuild of a 1/32 A6M-5 (Hasegawa) that I pulled apart at about thesame time as I was working on this.

By far my oldest in progress build is a 1/32 Fokker DVIII, from Falcon, that I started at Easter 1988. Probably won't get around to that one as there is a injection kit of that one now.

I remember buying this Komet at the Swap meet at the Melbourne Model Expo for a cheap $20. Then I wondered down the hall and bought a Grand Phoenix cockpit set for it, an Eduard P/E set for it and a couple of books. Think I unloaded another $150 out of my wallet for it...ha ha HA.

Kev - I note that our similarity of interests continues, I think you build a Komet just as I started mine, and now we'er both rebuilding Zeroes.

Cheers

Tony