Your Favourite Brand of Paint?

After my ten year absence from modeling; I am so happy that there are so many options available. I am 46 and built my first model when I was 4! It was an F4 phantom which I over-glued with the old famous testors smelly glue and I painted it red. My how times have changed. When I quit modeling there were few if any resources available on the net and now we have everything at our fingertips in milliseconds. What a relief!

Going through my old boxes of models and paints, it dawned upon me how much this art has changed. I still have old bottles of Pactra, Testors, Floquill and many others. Thus, the reason for this post. When I quit there were very few acrylic paints other than Tamiya and now there are many.

The Tamiya paints are good, but I recentley discovered Gunze and I am hooked! Although I still use some enamels and oils, I love Gunze.

So let me know which brands you guys rely upon and those to stay away from. Sorry for the long post but I am like a kid in a candy store!

Hi seeker...welcome to LSP. I use a variety of paints. I especially like Mr surfacer 500,1000 and alclad grey microfiller/primer for undercoats. As for the rest, there are so many great products out there it seems to often boil down to personal taste and what works well/gives you the results you're after in your hands.

Some of the guys use cheaper automotive primers as undercoats/fillers. I'd urge a little caution. They seem to vary in how 'hot' the material is and some of the primers have melted plastic on me. Trial on a piece of scrap as a general principle first or if you can get exactly the product that they use, then go for it.

Cheers Matty

Seeker..

I painted two German a/c to-day.Used Testors MODEL MASTER acrylics. It was the first time I've used them.

Used straight out of the bottle with my AZTEC aibrush,which the bottle screws onto.

Great reults! usually I use enamels,but was very happy with the acrylics.

You may need to try a few brands to find one you'r comfortable with.

Have fun.........Ernie

Seeker..

I painted two German a/c to-day.Used Testors MODEL MASTER acrylics. It was the first time I've used them.

Used straight out of the bottle with my AZTEC aibrush,which the bottle screws onto.

Great reults! usually I use enamels,but was very happy with the acrylics.

You may need to try a few brands to find one you'r comfortable with.

Have fun.........Ernie

Ernie,

I tried using Testors acrylics and my results were bad to say the least. They did not thin well at all and I had a few clumps of gook. The Gunze is my preference for now. Thanks for your input.

Rocky

I use acrylics almost exclusively. Easy clean-up, fewer dead brain cells, etc.

I've used Tamiya paints more than anything else, but a recent experiment with Model Master acrylics went very well also, and MM has much better color-matching.

For primer I swear by the Tamiya fine surface primer in the rattle cans. Goes on like butta! The Mr Surfacer spray is really nice also, but only available in my area by internet order.

Loads of good stuff out there! Like you I was amazed at the options when I returned to the hobby.

Hi seeker...welcome to LSP. I use a variety of paints. I especially like Mr surfacer 500,1000 and alclad grey microfiller/primer for undercoats. As for the rest, there are so many great products out there it seems to often boil down to personal taste and what works well/gives you the results you're after in your hands.

Some of the guys use cheaper automotive primers as undercoats/fillers. I'd urge a little caution. They seem to vary in how 'hot' the material is and some of the primers have melted plastic on me. Trial on a piece of scrap as a general principle first or if you can get exactly the product that they use, then go for it.

Cheers Matty

Matty,

It appears that Mr. Surfacer is a great product. I have added it to my buy list! Thank you for your input.

Rocky

I prefer Gunze and Tamiya acrylics for the airbrush and Revell acrylics for brush painting. I have two bottles of Model Master Acrylics here, seem to work quite fine as well, but I haven't found the right ratio for a nice spray pattern and coverage. Sometimes I use Humbrol and to a lesser extend Revell enamels, if the needed shade of color is otherwise not available, but I try to lessen their use. Yet I have to find a new solution on metal shades, as my local dealer took MM Metalizer out of his stock :(

Oh, and yes, don't miss on Mr. Surfacer, its easily the best primer out there :)

Sorry can't agree there, think Revell enamels are absolute shyte!

Humbrol quality sucks these days being made in China, and i hated the mess and drying time anyway of enamels so moved to acrylics.

I use Tamiya mainly, but Gunze have wider range.

Apparently Vallejo Model Air is excellent too!

All down to personal taste and what suits you, so trila is really the key here.

Good luck, and don't be scared to experiment.

I use acrylics almost exclusively. Easy clean-up, fewer dead brain cells, etc.

I've used Tamiya paints more than anything else, but a recent experiment with Model Master acrylics went very well also, and MM has much better color-matching.

For primer I swear by the Tamiya fine surface primer in the rattle cans. Goes on like butta! The Mr Surfacer spray is really nice also, but only available in my area by internet order.

Loads of good stuff out there! Like you I was amazed at the options when I returned to the hobby.

I totally agree, the Tamiya primer is awesome!

Sorry can't agree there, think Revell enamels are absolute shyte!

Humbrol quality sucks these days being made in China, and i hated the mess and drying time anyway of enamels so moved to acrylics.

I use Tamiya mainly, but Gunze have wider range.

Apparently Vallejo Model Air is excellent too!

All down to personal taste and what suits you, so trila is really the key here.

Good luck, and don't be scared to experiment.

I have had good luck with MM enamels but their acrylics stink IMO. The Gunze acrylics are incredible in my airbrushes and the Tamiya acrylics are as well. I failed to mention WME paints! They are excellent, once again my 2 cents.

I could start a new thread about airbrushes and compressors too! I am a steadfast believer in Iwata.

Rocky

I'm just putting the fiddly bits on a smaller scale kit that I used MM acryl on throughout. After I figured out that it's already thinned in the bottle it went pretty well. Tamiya is still my first choice, except for the fact that they have very limited color matching with no FS codes or anything.

I'm mainly an acrylic guy, and the Tamiya and Gunze brands are easily the most readily-available where I live, so that's what I use. I find the Gunze to be slightly more temperamental than the Tamiya, but as already noted by others, matching colours can be difficult with Tamiya paints. I use enamels occasionally (a mix of Humbrol an Model Master), and the occasional Tamiya rattle can (the lacquer ones). I'm also a devotee of Mr Surfacer, but I haven't tried the Tamiya primer yet.

Kev

I am also a fan on Tmaiya acrylics, although of late I have taken to decanting their rattle bombs. I have found that this lacquer has several advantages, it is quick drying very durable and ready to spray without thinning. However there is always the problem of fumes :)