Look out the Brits are coming

Ian Aylmer

Hi all,

I am on with the paint job to the fusealge. I took these pictures whilst it was still a bit wet, so It isn't actually all that dark. I mixed four colours in varying amounts to come up with the base colour of salmony deserty colour than darkened it a little to start adding that worn filthy look.

Hopefully I pull it off??? :P

post-1971-1193428875.jpg

post-1971-1193428886.jpg

I am going to let this dry for a couple of hours then go and see what it looks like. I think then I will seal it and start panel lines etc.

Thanks for looking guys.

Ian ;)

I hope it keeps that sorta splotchy look when dry, it's just right for the sun-beaten look! :P

But please keep in mind, you should add your decals first before panel lines. Paint, gloss coat, decals, gloss again and then weathering. This will help the decals look like they're painted-on because you can accentuate the panel lines over the markings as well.

You're really trucking right along on this one! Nicely done.....

Hi all,

Rookie, thanks man. I didn't know if I was over doing it or not? :P Anyway, thanks for the tips, I am going to start applying the decals soon. But I wanted to do it this way around first so that I could the base of the model right. I have got to think how I am going to apply sort of exhaust/ oil grey to this bird because it is all over it!!!

I will probably put the decals on before I start that portion of the paint job. I am being real light with it all because the panels and rivets aren't great and I need them later for even more realism.

So, back to the attic for some more thinking??? I may apply a very light coat of my mix, but make it paler. What does anyone think of that???? I am in new territory here and am unsure of what to do next?

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/pics/gulfwar/t...0take%20off.jpg

Thanks all.

Ian :rolleyes:

Hi all,

Well progress continues though slowly. I have managed to get off to a good start with the paint job so far. Fortunately once it had dried it has retained the look I was trying to create.

I have started to apply some of the decals. These are of course after market and are by flight path, but I think I mentioned that in one of my earlier posts. They went on real easy and nice and flat too. The great thing being that they really add to the authenticity of the aircraft I am trying to model.

I have also tonight started piecing together the stores. I am of mixed feeling what to do with these colour wise, as I have seen photos of DS Tornados wearing sand coloured stores and barley grey stores too. I think I may go for the latter, as it shows the ' work with what you' ve got' element off the war. We shall see?

I am going to apply some more decals of the normal nature, like roundels and warnings etc, then seal them in and get on with the ' filth' side of this paint job. I am really pleased with it so far though I feel the construction could have gone better. But no time to focus on that now.

I am wondering, with the massive exhaust spray that these aircraft have on there tails, is it best to do that with something like Tamiya smoke or use a medium grey with some brown in it? What do you think???

Sorry about the photo quality, I will try and get some better ones done for the next post.

Thanks for looking all.

Ian :P

post-1971-1193518983.jpg

post-1971-1193518992.jpg

post-1971-1193519000.jpg

Ian if you use the larger 'Hindenburger' tanks these were all barley grey as they were taken from the F3 fleet and for the exhaust stain I used pencil lead ground on some sandpaper and applied with a cotton bud and smeared with my finger :P

rearleft.JPG

Graham

Hi Ian,

This is becoming a fantastic looking Tonka mate! Being an ex-Tornado squadron member myself during the Gulf War I was heavily involved the the aircraft modification program/Gulf prep. I still have a soft spot for this old bird and my next build is gonna be one of my old 17 Sqn GR1's, in 32nd scale, nice and big!

I can still remember all that pink paint peeling off as it was only like emulsion you put on your living room walls!! One whiff of an oily rag and it was all over you....lol.

Keep up the great work mate, i'm following this thread avidly.....

Hi all.

Chris E, I bet you could tell some stories? I was a Coldstreamer at the time but they didn't send us :P .

Anyways.

Thanks for the kind words and I shall do my darndest to get it to look right. ;)

Am I right in thinking that the Tornado has one roundel on the top of the wing and also the bottom but no where else??? :rolleyes: :lol:

Lancman, I had a similar idea but didn't mention it as it didn't seem hardcore modeller enough. :lol: :lol: :lol: I will bear it in mind though.

Also, do me a favour and don't put your Tonka in here, it makes mine look dreadful! ;) ;) ;) Just kidding, yours is absolutely stunning.

Thanks guys, stay tuned, I shall no doubt have more to post tommorow at some point. I just hung the landing gear, so I am leaving it alone now to let it glue up real nice and tight.

Cheers

Ian ;)

Hi all,

Some of the progress of my Tornado. I have been applying dirt in general, and also doing panel lines.

post-1971-1193595270.jpg

post-1971-1193595281.jpg

As this is my second model ever doing this technique I got the jitters just before starting, but carried on anyway. I think it looks pretty good so far. I now need to do the same to the bottom and then seal it all in. Then I can continue with the build.

Hope you agree?

Thanks

Hi all,

A couple more shots at the same stage of painting. I can't wait to get a matt coat on it!

post-1971-1193595548.jpg

post-1971-1193595560.jpg

I am going to be using pastels after sealing this lot in to add more of a dirt feel to it. I have to do the exhaust stains on the tail too.

Thanks for looking guys.

Hi all,

I am having a little trouble deciding what to do with the stores on this aircraft, namely what colours to paint them?

I am going to do the tanks in Grey, as per Lancmans advice (many thanks) but I can't find images suitable enough to show me what colour the missles and bombs would have been? Do I assume that they wold have been the usual grey missles and green bombs???

Thanks all

Ian

Hi all,

More progress shots. I have added the huge exhaust stain to the tail. I can see where I will need to soften it now I have seen the photo. This is no problem. I used a mix of dark grey and brown pastels to get an exhaust colour. I have also weathered the bottom of the aircraft. For this I used artist water colours. I used solely brown for this. I mixed in a little washing up liquid as the paint wouldn't stick to the gloss coat. Worked a treat. There were more available panel lines on the bottom than there were on the top. This is amusing as how often do you turn over the model, or even display it upsaide down? :lol:

I think this is because of the faintness with which the factory puts them on. So for my next trick I will have to learn how to scribe. Marvelous.

post-1971-1193688108.jpg

post-1971-1193688118.jpg

I am enjoying the heck out of this kit, as I think I am beginning to learn and use more of the methods that I see used here everyday on this site. Brilliant! ;) Its great to see truely inspiring work by others and then learn how it is done and apply it. One step closer. :D

Thanks

Ian ;)

Hi all,

Some more gratuitous shots of my Tonka!

post-1971-1193688793.jpg

post-1971-1193688804.jpg

I can't take a decent shot of the front of this bird to save my life!!! :lol: Maybe the camera is cursed?

Also, now I see where I have misplaced the rescue decal at the front. Grrrrrrr. :angry:

Thanks

Ian :D