Look out the Brits are coming

Ian Aylmer

Hi all,

Thanks for the words guys, appreciated. Allok, the one and only thing I can't stand about scale modelling is the puttying and sanding and filling and ...............you get my drift.

I think I might try something new this time around like putting white glue in the gaps and smoothing of with a wet finger or some thing like that to see if it is any better than blasted puttying :angry: . Calm down Ian. Phew. Anyways. :)

Thanks chaps. :(

Ian

Hi all,

I have the fuselage glued all the way to the rear now and both of the fuselage halves are together. There doesn't appear to be any major issues with gaps, so I should hopefully get away with hair line sanding. And that is an A3 pad it is sitting on to give you some idea of the size of this thing.

post-1971-1192969880.jpg

I have also started to build and paint the engine module. Very simple really, just a couple of cones inserted into a drum assembly and then you place the after burner rings over the top. Job done. I mixed up the colours for them myself to give them a lived in look.

post-1971-1192970037.jpg

The air intakes are also going together as well with no fitting issues.

Well, as usual, thanks for looking and keep building them models gents.

Thanks

Ian :)

Hi all,

Graham, thanks for the heads up but I had already glued everything up so I'll do some very fine sanding. I don't think I have a problem at the rear as you did with yours???

The whole fuselage has come together quite well. The only disappoinment is where the front meets the rear. I will have to fiddle with this part for a while to get rid of a bit of a step, probably less than half a mm but noticeable all the same, so some hair line sanding coming up.

The only other things I have done today are paint all the white parts, some green stuff and a few silver bits.

Will crack on with it for now and keep you all posted.

By the way Graham, I am having a hell of a time finding any decent images of Desert Storm Tonkas, do you know where I might find some? I need to get the decals sorted out.

Thanks

Ian ;)

Hi all,

Scotsman, Lancman, I think we must of all arrived at the same page at the same time. :lol:

I have ordered the decals from Flightpath, so now I can stop staring at the web forever hoping to find what I was looking for. Super!

Texas, thanks very much, I had a great time putting it all together, as I said I must be learning because I managed to impress myself.

And Lancman, you were right about the engine being 180 degress off, thanks for the heads up. ;)

The little 'C' clips that go in the wing to steady the pylons must have slipped because now they pivot freely, so I will have to glue them in place. Not good. :angry: :lol: :o

Thanks

Ian

Hi all,

Update for today, I have assembled the missles and started to paint them, well I have sprayed them white at any rate. So they are now drying, ready for decals and detailing.

Also test fitted the in takes, will have some gaps to fill there unfortunately.

Sorry no pictures as its really not that interesting to look at yet.

Question: When filling gaps with putty, I put tape down either side of the gap and then smooth in the putty with a tooth pick. I let it settle for ten minutes and then take of the excess with a cotton bud dipped in nail varnish remover. Then I find that the seam is concave. How can I get it to go flat first time around so I am not constantly adding and taking away? Is there an easier way? :o :lol: ;) :blink: :lol:

Thanks all.

Ian ;)

Hi all,

I have bit the bullet tonight and repositioned all the pylons and glued them in place. I would of been happier to have the choice of moving them as intended, but unfortunately two of the C clips inside the wings had slipped and so I had to fix them.

I have applied the second and final coat of white paint to all the white parts, so thats one job done with.

With any luck, tomorrow I shall start the main paint job. I have 2 or 3 gaps to fill first though.

Also, I gave closed the nose with the radar plate. I crammed in all the weight suggested using fishing weights.

Finally for this evening I have attached the intakes. This was quite difficult and has left sizeable gaps on the bottom of the fuselage which will need tending too.

I have weathered the engine a little also. The engine nozzles really look lived in. Along with any exhaust and oil stains that I apply later they should look great. The Tornado's I have seen in desert schemes always look filthy so I am looking forward to trying to replicate it. : rolleyes:

I think I will assemble the landing gear tomorrow and decide whether to have the nose open or not??? Hmm. :rolleyes:

Keep assembling those models all. :ph34r:

Thanks

Ian :D

Hi all,

Got my Gulf War decals in the post today!!! Whoohooo. To be honest, they look a little rough, but that is hopefully because they are on a white background?

Also picked up the paint for the fuselage, Revell 93 if memory serves?

Lancman, thanks for input on sanding and filling. :rolleyes:

Right, crack on.

Thanks

Ian :P