P-47 Old Revell Kit Questions

Cicchino

My modeling career started 40 years or so ago with the $2 Revell 1/32nd P-47. With the new Hasegawa kit now out, I'd like to build the kit in the 86th FG marking in that original Revell kit - the one with the two Jugs pulling up after dropping their bombs on a railroad yard.

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have a scan either of the decals or the box art? I remember the AC number being '70' but what I don't know is if there were a serial number, and I also remember the cowl flaps being blue - I think I can verify that for the squadron.

Any help/insight appreciated.

John Cicchino

Cicchino,

Well,U got a start on the box art thing.The tail and elevators were red strips and the base color was white.The cowl flaps were blue like u said in u'er post.The 47 u'er asking about squadron wise is from the 9th or 15th air force.I have a book with the title called,Thunderbolt in Action and have a pic of four 47's in flight.There from the 86th fighter group

Thye have black numbers on the side of the fuselages as to 45,46, and 47 and so on.All are NMF.Hope this helps u out in u'er build and make sure u cut off a 1/4 of an inch at the top of the gear leg.Or u'er 47 will have a high stance to it.Larry

Cicchino,

Well,U got a start on the box art thing.The tail and elevators were red strips and the base color was white.The cowl flaps were blue like u said in u'er post.The 47 u'er asking about squadron wise is from the 9th or 15th air force.I have a book with the title called,Thunderbolt in Action and have a pic of four 47's in flight.There from the 86th fighter group

Thye have black numbers on the side of the fuselages as to 45,46, and 47 and so on.All are NMF.Hope this helps u out in u'er build and make sure u cut off a 1/4 of an inch at the top of the gear leg.Or u'er 47 will have a high stance to it.Larry

Larry....are you talking about shortening the gear leg of the Hasegawa or the Revell (cut off a 1/4 of an inch at the top of the gear leg.Or u'er 47 will have a high stance to it.)

That gear leg fix actually looks better if you cut off the oleo section, drill the legs and stem out and insert some tube or rod, then re-mount the scissor links re-positioned for the short oleo...here's a pic of what your oleo and scissors should look like:

15.jpg

ps: I have an extra sheet of those decals if you want them. let me know.

sorry about the pix's putting pix's on this site now is a f@#$%%^^%@#@ss

Don't blame the site Dwayne unless you've excluded 'operator induced error'. Read and follow the instructions in the sticky's.

If you need help becasue you have A) that one in a million weird IT issue or B.) operator induced error...ask.

matt not blaming the site just iam not messy around with resizing i will just post the small pix's

Thats what I dont get mate. You've always had to resize pics on LSP...well since 2005 at least, irrespective of any server software changes. With the totally free software I use its as simple as Image->resize->select 800 X 600 = done. It takes me all of ???3 seconds.

matt i do that 800x600 and the file is to big then i go smaller and smaller then it works and i get small pix's?

As I've explained elsewhere, getting your photos to a small enough file size is just as much a function of file compression as it is pixel dimensions. A lightly compressed JPEG @ 800x600 can still we well over 100KB, whereas a heavily compressed JPEG @ 800x600 might be 20KB or less (and look like absolute rubbish). You just need to dial up the compression a little more in whatever software you're using to reduce the images.

Kev

As I've explained elsewhere, getting your photos to a small enough file size is just a much a function of file compression as it is pixel dimensions. A lightly compressed JPEG @ 800x600 can still we well over 100KB, whereas a heavily compressed JPEG @ 800x600 might be 20KB or less (and look like absolute rubbish). You just need to dial up the compression a little more in whatever software you're using to reduce the images.

Kev

Or you use a free hosting site like Photobucket. Instead of uploading to LSP you upload to photobucket and insert the link to your pic to the forum instead. Make it 800x600 and it doesn't matter what size the file is! I used to upload the pictures directly, got tired of guessing to get the file size right and switched to photobucket. You can even use that site to do crude re-sizing... When I'm posting pics I keep two windows open, one to LSP and one to my 'album' on photobucket. Copy and paste the image URL to the forum and it's done in seconds with no hassles at all.

matt i do that 800x600 and the file is to big then i go smaller and smaller then it works and i get small pix's?

Cool...keep the dimensions as 800 X 600...you're on the right track. Think of the photo as a water soaked sponge of the right dimensions to get through the hole but its weight is also a factor for entry. If your file is the right dimensions but heavy its probably becasue you've got a good camera or scanner which is able to whack a lot of detail down. You need to squeeze the water from the sponge ( keeping the same size) to make it lighter...then it'll post. This is the 100kb part.

I use Irfanview 3.99 to do any sponge trimming and squeezing. I tried MS photoeditor but it didn't give me any control over 'how much' I squeezed...I found it a PITA. It would reduce a file to a grainy 20kb with only a hint of a squeeze. Other guys use picasa and love that...its also free, although having not used it I'm not sure how things are done.

The reason I use Irfanview ( other than its free) is that it gives me good control ( via a slider bar left to right) to squeeze the 'weight' out of the photos just the right amount. If I'm really fussy I can tweak it so that its 99 or 100kb exactly...but usually, and if I'm trying to be quick, I keep it at about 70% with the box 72dpi checked. Then save it and post. After a few goes you'll get the feel for how much sliding for how much file size ( weight) reduction is likely to happen.

There's a thread in tips and techniques... I'll pin up top that has screen shots.

Good luck mate and sorry you're frustrated. We'll chip away at it and in no time the frustration will all be a distant memory

Cheers Matty

Ps thanks Kev,Dave B)