The return of the Revell Monsters...

- Type: Lockheed XP-38 Lightning, as started here

- Scale: 1/32

- Manufacturer: Revell

- Your aim in this build: To finish that SoB B)

- What stopped build? ( lack of intel/a technique problem/equipment issues/modification woes): Hm, shall I name them all?

* A glass of Testors Zinc Chromate green, that wasn't good anymore and thus refused to dry when applied

* Reinstalling the turbochargers proved to be more difficult than expected

* Got sick of drilling (and ruining) the fifth or sixth instrument panel

* No idea how to make the trim wheels

* No motivation to carve a master for a new canopy.

* Need some instrument decals

* General shape and accuracy issues of the kit

* No clue how to make such a nice, polished NMF finish. But I may have a solution for this in the meantime.

- What do you think would help you build get through to completion?: Will see.

There are a couple more things that annoyed me by mid March, so this one went of the table for a while allowing me to finish off some other model. Maybe with a little more time and thus less pressure to finish it than in the Revell GB, I'll have some more success.

I'll be entering at least one of the stalled Revell builds myself!!!

* No idea how to make the trim wheels

* Need some instrument decals

Some ideas:For a trim wheel: 1. Make a disc out of plastic slightly less in diameter than what you need. 2. Put a length of insulated wire of approximately the correct diameter as the trim wheel outer grip into a vise (the long way). Using a straight edge, cut a slit the length of the wire through the insulation. 3. Peel the insulation from the wire and wrap over the edge of the plastic disc. Run a little super glue to hold it in place, put the joint at the bottom in the model so you can't see it! ....or buy a lathe and turn one out!

For instrument decals, Mike Grant's decals are the one to get! http://www.mikegrantdecals.com/Instruments.html Also, MDC has some good ones: http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/productpag...on/D32011/54284 .

Ah, thank you, I'll have a look at it.

The Mike Grant look really excellent. Just ordering from abroad blows up the postage. I used to use Reheat dials, as they were easily available, but the company went out of business some time ago. Slightly off topic, I'm still looking for someone who makes generic MFDs and modern dials.. :lol: .

Freddie from Photocut makes some instrument bezels. His PE just peels off and you stick it down. Might be an easier way of scratching a panel? Ummm...if the postage is a kicker maybe you can get them sent to a US guys addy and then he can send them on to you @ cost?

Will really look forward to this one as the shape and NMF looked awesome in the photo.

Cheers Matty

Looks to me to be a tricky build with lots of scratch-building and fiddly bits... just my thing.

Again, this project looks awesome and I would love to see it completed.

Maybe this time!

I'm not sure what the trim wheels look like but I know Jim Roberts, of Roberts Models, sells the odd accessory. Might be worth giving him a call. Where do you live to make shipping high?

I could have sworn, it was two trimwheels, but maybe I mix it up with the steering wheel type controll stick. Anyways, I'll have to do that wheel in the red circle to complete the throttle column.

I'm in an odd place called "Germany" :lol: Sending stuff over the pond can become pricy, that's why I try to find sources on this side of the Atlantic. And then there's still the problem of payment options, as not everyone accepts PayPal...

post-905-1187622911.jpg

Mmmm... Looks like a scratch-build project to me. A very small one!

The last trim wheel I made was for a Hurricane. I bent a small piece of plastic rod around a tiny screwdriver to make the circle and then made all the spokes from plastic sheet. For the handles and knobs, I melt the end of a .25mm rod into a knob shape and the cut it to length.

But that's just me.

Very nice pic!

• 1 month later...