F-4J Phantom II

I'm going to have to try some of that ProModeller wash. I like using oil washes, but there are times when something less temperamental would be the go.

Looking good Dave. I'm really keen to see what looks like after clean up.

Kev

Wash off!

WashOff1800x.jpg

WashOff2800x.jpg

There are still some smudgy places to clean up a bit more, but this illustrates just how easy that wash is to use. I spent about 10 minutes removing this with a piece of old t-shirt after it had sat on there all day long.

HI Looking better all the time. Do you clear coat before and after using the wash?

Texas :) ;) ;)

Thanks, Texas.

To answer your question, yes I do. Gloss coat before the wash, flat coat will go on after. Since the wash is rather durable there's no real need to do another gloss coat prior to any other weathering but before the final flat coat. If I had been using all water-slide decals I would've used: gloss coat, then decals, then another gloss coat, then the wash and finally the flat. The dry transfers enabled me to skip a step.

HI Thanks for the info. I may try that on a future build. I am all setup to try the artist oils as weathering on the F-14 I have going. We had a local club member do a demonstration last year with the artist oils and it was really neat.

Texas :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave Dave Dave,

What can I say except fan bloody tastic! Well done my boy, keep it up. Now if I could just find the will to pull down the ladder to my attic and carry on with something.

Yours is looking real 'killer.'

Thanks

Ian :ph34r:

Thanks very much everyone! :P

I've been traveling the last week or so and missed a weekend working on this one. I'm really hoping I can get her pretty well wrapped up this weekend so I can focus on the Spitfire in the Under 50 GB. Scribing awaits.....

Thanks very much everyone! :P

I've been traveling the last week or so and missed a weekend working on this one. I'm really hoping I can get her pretty well wrapped up this weekend so I can focus on the Spitfire in the Under 50 GB. Scribing awaits.....

I finally got an evening at home and couldn't wait to at least get something done, so the belly got washed and weathered along with the drop tanks. Before you decide I must be nuts, look at lots of photos of the centerline tanks on many Phantoms. They seem to have gotten pretty hammered! Hopefully I've achieved a similar look on mine. The Tamiya weathering master set was used for the grime on the tanks.

BellyWash2800x.jpg

BellyWash1800x.jpg

The sidewinder pylons are next and then I can start the final assembly! I realized there's a contest near me on Feb 9th (your club, isn't it Randy?) that I might try to enter this in just for a dose of humility. Of course that means I have to actually get it finished....