F-4J Phantom II

Looking great, Dave!!! I take it you did not have the same problem with the stripes as you did with the walkways???

Thanks Ray. The stripes were no problem at all. They were on an entirely different kind of paper and also clearly a different style of printing. They acted just like you'd expect. Whew! ;)

Today was about afterburners!

I went the Alclad route for these, starting with duraluminum and going over that with jet exhaust. I'm not sure if there was any benefit from putting the alum down first since you can't really see any of it now. I managed to make the exhaust a bit darker towards the rear but it's a really minor fade.

Duraluminum: (Pardon the flash! Couldn't see squat without it)

CansDuralumFlash800x.jpg

After the exhaust: With the flash you can hardly see any difference! :)

CansExhaustFlash800x.jpg

And installed:

Burners1800x.jpg

In that shot you can see some of the panel numbers on there, too. They're really tiny but actually do make a noticeable difference.

Thanks for looking!

Thanks Matty!

Whether intended or not, your reply served to remind me that I'd like to see it finished, too! So I actually did some work tonight.

For future big projects like this I really must discipline myself to do all the fiddly bits that I don't like first. I'd get twice as many kits built! -_-

Tonight I started on the canopies. The kit parts are a bit plain:

CanopyPlain800x.jpg

Fortunately, the fine folks at Eduard have an answer for that, although it turns each canopy into almost it's own little kit. The results are well worth the effort I think:

CanopyPE1800x.jpg

Hopefully some dry-brushing and maybe a wash will prevent all that extra detail from vanishing once it's painted black. There's more PE to go on the front of the 'glass' once that's installed which has the mirrors and stuff on it. Should look pretty nice.

I've also got her up on her own feet now and am hoping that this weekend will see me a lot closer to finishing this one off!

As always thanks for looking!

You ARE gonna take some of that off, right? :ph34r:

Lookin' real good! The Phantom is my favorite modern jet. Will have to take a stab at building another one of these days, unless 21st Century brings out their 18th scale model first, of course. :lol: