F-4J Phantom II

The good news is I didn't throw it out a window. :rolleyes:

The better news is I found a white that works! Model Master Acryl flat white. Goes on nicely, doesn't clog the airbrush and leaves a pretty nice finish. It just takes a LOT of it. Another plus is that it's ready for the airbrush in the bottle, no thinning required.

I'm really glad I pre-shaded in neutral gray on the belly instead of the black I normally use.

BellyPreshade1800x.jpg

Because I emptied the cup twice to get to this:

2cupsgone800x.jpg

And two more times to get here:

4cupsgone800x.jpg

After six I'm pretty happy with the results. It needs to cure all the way before I can be sure if it needs to be toned down at all. Should be OK as it sits.

6cupsgone800x.jpg

Now I can get some Gull gray on her and finally move this one towards the completed column!

Viola! (Or is it Cello! :D )

Light Gull Gray. Which looks really dark to me. Must be that 'scale effect' thing because I look at other Phantom models and it looks like a match, but much darker than pictures of actual aircraft.

GullGrayThree800x.jpg

I may have covered the pre-shading more than I wanted, but the actual bird didn't see much action so I'm probably closer than I think.

It looks more the part with some white bits exposed.

Unmasked800x.jpg

And much more like it with the reminder of markings to come!

WIthTail800x.jpg

I'd done a whole bunch of nothing on this build for quite a while... Now it feels like I'm back!

Thanks for all the encouragement!

HI I thank it's looking very nice. Does the model look darker than it appears in your photo? Because the gray looks good in the photo.

Texas :D ;) :rolleyes:

No, it looks about the same, Texas. But compared to a reference pic of the real deal you can see what I mean pretty clearly.

post-3154-1198032029.jpg

HI Is it possible that the photo looks lighter because of the direction the sun was shinning on the aircraft or the filters used when the photo was processed. Also the gray may have faded on the aircraft due to the salt air on a carrier. Just my two cents

Texas :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Rookie,

That is beginning to lok the part man, very cool indeed. Is it a VF - 84 Jolly Rogers bird??? I have that to do in my stash, comes standard with the Marines F4J. Fantastic looking bird.

Keep going. I hate white also, always without fail goes see through and runny. :lol:

Thanks

Ian :lol:

Thanks Lads!

Last night I got all of the accent painting done, so the main airframe is complete except for a little touching-up here and there. The wing tips, anti-glare and a couple other accents were all masked and sprayed.

AccentPaint800x.jpg

And tonight I started to add data stencils and some markings! I'm doing this entire build without any Future since there will actually be less than five actual decals on the whole thing! Everything else is dry-transfer.

The Hobby Decal set is really well done and extremely comprehensive. The Navy was sure fond of stencils during the cold war! :lol: I have most of the belly finished, but haven't even touched the panel numbers yet. I've had enough for one night though...

Data4800x.jpg

Data5800x.jpg

Data6800x.jpg

Thanks for looking!