F-4J Phantom II

Hey Rookie,

Looking like the dogs privates! Those decals/ transfers really do look the part. Nice work. I am on with the laborous task of filling and sanding, though they are very insignificant, so I am hoping to get it done without too much drama.

Keep it up, really nice stuff.

Thanks

Ian

I told you you would like those transfers!!! Now you will be cursing every time you use waterslide from now on!!!

You don't know how right you are, Ray! I was thinking as they went on just how cool it would be to have these for everything.

Hi

Is that BDP's I see? I have left them on mine too.

Thanks

Ian

Yes indeed!! In my world this bird got shot-up and repaired. It is pretty funny that the engineers who measured the actual Phantom for this kit so faithfully reproduced the battle damage. Doesn't bother me though....

Thanks all for the kind remarks! This one is starting to feel like fun again.. ;)

Hey

Glad your enjoying it. I left the BDP's on mine for the same reason, straight out of Vietnam, they must of been repaired with Coke cans and all sorts of things to keep them flying. :rolleyes:

I wish I had chosen a simple all over grey paint job. :lol: :huh: :huh:

Thanks

Ian

Actually, they're not BDR, they are real panels on the aircraft and some of the ones they everyone says should be sanded flush and rescribed are, in fact, raised panels. It's just that Tamiya somewhat exaggerated the effect. I'm leaving them alone on my build. It's already daunting enough without taking sandpaper to a major surface. :rolleyes:

I wish I had chosen a simple all over grey paint job. :huh: :huh: :(

I have an 'E' in the stash waiting for the time when I feel ready to try a SEA scheme on such a large scale. Not quite yet... :rolleyes:

It's already daunting enough without taking sandpaper to a major surface. :lol:

Those were my thoughts exactly. That, and they don't bother me anyway, right or wrong.

Hi Rookie,

Long time no hear, How are you gettng on wit her?

Thanks

Ian :(

Alas, I'm a retailer, so the Christmas season is my flat-out craziest. :lol: I'm working a 6-day week for the rest of the year which takes a big bite out of time at the bench.

I've been fiddling with the stores and some smaller bits, but nothing photo-worthy. I still hope to have her pretty well buttoned-up by the end of the year or thereabouts. I'm in no hurry.....

Hi Rookie,

I know what you mean, I am in no mood to rush this one either. I am only too happy that there weren't very many gaps to fill! :lol:

I find this kit more and more involving everytime I look at it. And I just ordered another one, A 'J' Marines bird. Whoohoo. :(

Anyway, this is probably in 'whats your job', what do you retail???

Thanks

Ian :D

Alas, I'm a retailer, so the Christmas season is my flat-out craziest. :blink: I'm working a 6-day week for the rest of the year which takes a big bite out of time at the bench.

I've been fiddling with the stores and some smaller bits, but nothing photo-worthy. I still hope to have her pretty well buttoned-up by the end of the year or thereabouts. I'm in no hurry.....

HI It's that time of year when work and family life takes more time with shopping and the holliday actvaties. So hang in there and come January things will get back to normal.

Texas :lol: :lol: :D

• 2 weeks later...

AAAAAGHHHHH!!!!

What is it with white paint?!??? I've been using Xtracrylix paints on a few other kits and absolutely love the stuff. So I wanted to use it on this build also, started on the drop-tanks and can not get an even coat to save my life!! PLUS it clogs my airbrush no matter how much I thin it. :D

Darn good thing I wanted a splotchy, worn look to the tanks anyway.... I probably couldn't have done that this well on purpose. I'll be trying something else on the belly of this airplane and hope it matches closely. If not I'll go over the tanks again. Or throw the whole thing out a window.

Deep breathes. Counting to ten.......

You want awesome white? Like never fails pure excelent one shot white?

Testors Model Master Gloss White enamal from the rattle can man. Fool proof and goes on quick. It seems to self level while it hardens and when it does you can scribe into it forPete's sake!

I'll never use any other white ever.