F-4J Phantom II

I am watching your build with great interest. I too am working on an F-4J. I have the CE intakes but haven't attached them yet. You are inspiring me to keep moving even though I find it a bit daunting at times.

Thanks, Mark!

This one has tested me in more than one area so far, hopefully I do it justice at the end. I'm certainly learning a lot in the process!

I'd love to see your Phantom if you're sharing it...

Thanks for looking!

Hi Rookie,

Hows the Phantom treating you? I have detailed the bare metal parts on mine, I am wondering what to protect it with while I get on with the camo job???

Thanks

Ian

If I recall you used Gunze metalcote or something? I've never used it myself. Some NMF finishes can be clear coated with little or no change to the appearance, but some change quite a lot. I'll be using Alclad on mine, and coated the stabs with Future after I finished them. I won't do the rest of the BMF parts on the tail until nearly last. I think it'll be easier to deal with after everything else has been painted than before. It sounds good inside my head at least.... :rolleyes:

I spent some time tonight finishing the office plumbing and getting that area ready to be masked. I'm actually hopeful that I might get a coat of primer on her this weekend. :rolleyes:

The backseater's IP has been installed and I added wiring to the rear of the panel. I have no idea if it's accurate but it adds some dimension.

WiringSide800x.jpg

WiringTop800x.jpg

Then I drilled a couple of holes in the back firewall to run the wiring through from the rear.

WiringFront800x.jpg

Tomorrow I'll paint those wires and get the office masked-off for paint.

Hope you like!

Hi Rookie,

I have got some of that purple stuff that turns to rubber when it is set. I am not in the attic so I can't remember what it is called but I will cover the rear in that.

I used Humbrol Metalcote.

Your office looks superb, nice one. Did you buy the maskings for the canopy or is that your own work?

Thanks

Ian

Your office looks superb, nice one. Did you buy the maskings for the canopy or is that your own work?

Thanks

Ian

The Big Ed set I'm using from Eduard included masks for pretty much everything. Including the NMF areas on the tail and other areas. Eduard calls it a 'useful areas' set of masks, and they're proving to be just that!

I actually got some painting done today! A very nice break from filling/sanding etc.

I mentioned previously that I'm doing the tail-fin separately to facilitate the dry-transfers more easily. This may end up being another of those decisions that I regret later... who knows!

The VF-84 Jolly Rogers birds had the leading edge NMF with the black fin and yellow tip.

Here she is...

Tailfin1800x.jpg

Now the nerve-wracking part. Getting the transfers on without effing it all up!

Primer is on!

After all, I couldn't let Ian get too far ahead of me... :rolleyes:

It has revealed a few areas that will need some additional smoothing, but thankfully not very many.

I may actually finish the bloody thing yet!

Primer1800x-1.jpg

YES!

Guys, you wouldn't believe the almost irrational amount of nerves I've had over the tail-art for this project. My one and only prior experience with dry-transfer markings produced only so-so results, which would've never been enough on this one. I think I may have actually avoided doing more work on this one sooner for fear of getting to this point.

Totally unjustified!

These HobbyDecal transfers almost jumped off the backing sheet. And the white is white with no translucence at all.

Woo hoo! (Where's that dancing banana emoticon when you need it?)

TailArt1800x.jpg