F-4J Phantom II

HI Looks like a lot of fun. :lol: Some of these model kits seem to require a extra amount of elbo greese even if it is boaring. I have found that when the model is finished it all seems worth it. Keep up the great work your doing. It's looking good and I for one can't wait to see it finished.

Texas :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

D'ohh!! That does look like a chasm. There are a couple ways to deal with large gaps like that:

1.) Add a spreader (or 2 or 3!) inside the fuselage to spread it out to meet the wings. I can't remember how the Revell kit is setup, that may not be possible.

2.) Stuff plastic in the seam, glue and sand down to the surface. Doesn't work to well on 90deg. joints like this one, though.

3.) Milliput as you were talking about should work good, trowel it down into the joint, then using damp cloth at first to remove most of the excess, then switch to Q-tips and remove to correct shape. Shouldn't leave too much to sand.

4.) As above, but use Squadron putty or equivalent and use cheap fingernail polish remover (diluted acetone) to remove excess. In this case, be careful with the excess as the putty will mar the plastic if too much is globbed about.

Of the above methods, assuming #1 isn't an available option, probably #3 is the most efficient.

Have fun! It is starting to look like a plane!

Thanks Ray and Dragonfly!

The Milliput option is working pretty well thus far. I of course had everything glued together before remembering reading about the spacers somewhere... ;)

That Milliput stuff is pretty cool! Sure beats the heck out of the putty I had previously used. I should be able to get a pretty nice result with almost no sanding, and that makes me a happy camper.

• 2 weeks later...

A small update tonight with a bit of a Woo Hoo!

Milliput rocks. :P The nasty gaps have been filled with almost no sanding required. This makes me very happy...

With just a tiny bit more to completely clean-up the panel lines and rivets I can move on with this kit. My next challenge is getting the tail ready to paint and add markings. The crossbones tail art is a very large dry-transfer and I'm not about to try to apply it after the tail is glued in place so I need to make sure the fit will be seamless. This will also allow me to bail and revert to some other scheme if I screw the dry-transfer up beyond repair. <_<

LftSide800x.jpg

RtSide800x.jpg

Hi

Great looking filling, my biggest headache!!! It always seems to go concave when I do it? You seem to have gaps where I don't, weird. Lucky me <_< :P :rolleyes: Good work, can you post a picture of the decals you are going to use?

Thanks

Ian

Hi

Great looking filling, my biggest headache!!! It always seems to go concave when I do it? You seem to have gaps where I don't, weird. Lucky me :P :rolleyes: ;) Good work, can you post a picture of the decals you are going to use?

Thanks

Ian

Oops! I thought I had posted the scheme back at the beginning. I had to go looking to see that I hadn't.

The markings come from HobbyDecal and are really amazing, there are just a ton of them. The data stencils alone will take forever, especially since they're dry-transfers. Everything down to panel numbers is included. <_<

post-3154-1194969246.jpg

I am watching your build with great interest. I too am working on an F-4J. I have the CE intakes but haven't attached them yet. You are inspiring me to keep moving even though I find it a bit daunting at times.