F-4J Phantom II

Thanks Ray!

Turns out Ray is right, Tamiya tape masks over Alclad with no problems. The stabilizers are finished except for a coat of future. Hopefully this method will in fact make the rest of the painting process easier when that time comes. Of course, after I had the whole thing finished I stopped to think about the fact that I didn't pre-shade any of the lines. :) SO now I'll have to decide whether I carry that through the belly of the plane or not. I'll probably do a very mild pre-shading of just a few areas so it doesn't look like a toy, but also doesn't look like the tail is new. Teenager mistakes! ;)

The metal areas are Alclad dark aluminum on top of regular aluminum.

TailFinished1800x.jpg

It's nice to see a little color!

Looking good Dave!

One thing you could try regarding the absent preshading is to take some heavily thinned Tamiya Smoke and post-shade the lines. Tamiya Smoke is a highly translucent colour that takes a few passes to build any colour, and would be ideal for adding the pre-shading effect after the fact. Of course, it requires a steady hand with the airbrush (I probably couldn't manage it!), but you'd be going for a very subtle effect anyway - definitely a case of less being more.

Anyway, just an idea.

Kev

I agree with Kev. Just thin some Tamiya Smoke with Tamiya thinner to about the consistency of water and post shade. It should give you the same effect as pre-shading. Just test it on some scrap stuff first. Also note that, if I remember correctly, Tamiya Smoke will give you a bit of a glossy finish, so you might have to go back and hit it with some matte later, depending on what kind of finish you are gong for.

Thanks Ray!

Turns out Ray is right, Tamiya tape masks over Alclad with no problems. The stabilizers are finished except for a coat of future. Hopefully this method will in fact make the rest of the painting process easier when that time comes. Of course, after I had the whole thing finished I stopped to think about the fact that I didn't pre-shade any of the lines. :P SO now I'll have to decide whether I carry that through the belly of the plane or not. I'll probably do a very mild pre-shading of just a few areas so it doesn't look like a toy, but also doesn't look like the tail is new. Teenager mistakes! ;)

The metal areas are Alclad dark aluminum on top of regular aluminum.

TailFinished1800x.jpg

It's nice to see a little color!

HI Did you prime before appling alclad. Been thanking about trying some myself and just wondering.

Texas :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HI Did you prime before appling alclad. Been thanking about trying some myself and just wondering.

Howdy, Tex.

I did prime, but not with gloss black as I've often read was required. Turns out you only really need to use the goss black base if you're using the polished or prismatic finishes. In this case I used Mr. White Surfacer 1000 which goes on extremely smooth and glossy. The biggest key with Alclad is having the surface completely smooth and free of defects. The metal finish will show the slightest imperfection in a big way. Like I said earlier, this turned out to be much easier to use than I had feared. I'll be much less intimidated to try NMF finishes in the future!

Howdy, Tex.

I did prime, but not with gloss black as I've often read was required. Turns out you only really need to use the goss black base if you're using the polished or prismatic finishes. In this case I used Mr. White Surfacer 1000 which goes on extremely smooth and glossy. The biggest key with Alclad is having the surface completely smooth and free of defects. The metal finish will show the slightest imperfection in a big way. Like I said earlier, this turned out to be much easier to use than I had feared. I'll be much less intimidated to try NMF finishes in the future!

HI Thanks for the info. I have thought about trying alclad and just like to keep up with what works

Hey Rookie,

I am watching this with intereset as I have a Tamiya Phantom to do, but am scared to death just taking the lid off the box and pearing inside!

Hows she progressing?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

Do be too phrightened of your Phantom. The Tamiya Phantoms are one of those kits that can be fairly easy OOB or really challenge the heck out of you if you choose to go crazy with it. (Sorta like I have.. :huh: ) It's progressing slowly to be honest. I've made some headway with it but most of the work has been of the un-glamorous variety. (sanding, filling) Hopefully this weekend I'll make some more progress that is photo-worthy.

If you want an intimidating Tamiya jet in 1/32, look at the F-15E!! I got a great deal on one recently and almost fainted when I looked in the box. :P It may be quite a while before I tackle that beast!

Thanks for looking!

HI I don't know that much about the F-4s or F-15E but if I had known what a pain the Tamiya F-14A kit was I believe I would have started something else. But I have been learning a lot of new things (like rescribing pannel lines and reworking the intakes to name two) that I might have never tried if it had been a easy build. What I am trying to say is that you learn more from some of these kits.

HI I don't know that much about the F-4s or F-15E but if I had known what a pain the Tamiya F-14A kit was I believe I would have started something else. But I have been learning a lot of new things (like rescribing pannel lines and reworking the intakes to name two) that I might have never tried if it had been a easy build. What I am trying to say is that you learn more from some of these kits.

That's exactly my philosophy too Texas. You might not end up with as nice a model, but it's definitely a superior approach for improving your skills.

Kev

Hi

I took your advice about the F15 and steared clear :rolleyes: . But....................I have just ordered an F14 1/32 Tamiya, and a 1/32 F18 Academy. Texas, I agree with your sentiments exactly, its not the difficulty, but what you can learn and carry forward. So I am looking forward to receiving these kits, and any others I decide to do in future. They are only plastic right? Its upto to us to make em look like more than that.

Who knows, when I finish my Tornado, I may even dive right in and take up the Phantom challenge myself. Happy modelling all. :rolleyes:

Thanks

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

A small update today, just in case some of you thought I had stopped work on this one.

I can't say that the thought hasn't crossed my mind... :rolleyes: For whatever reason, fit issues abound. In particular, the join between the upper wing surfaces and the fuselage. I found a source for Milliput after reading lots of raves about it and will be trying to use that to fill the chasm that exists currently on the right side. The other seams are slowly being sanded and smoothed. I find that I can only work for short periods on this before I have to put it down for a while. It is not my favorite part of any build... :P

Montage1800x.jpg

Filling1800x.jpg

I might just need the whole duration of this GB to get this one done!

Hey mate,

That is a chasm isn't it? I agree whole heartedly with you on the sanding and filling thing. It is the only thing about building these things that I can't stand either. Also, I think that is how I ended up on this group build with my F16, I got so sick of the idea of trudging off into the attic just to fill holes, that I stopped! Ha. :P :rolleyes: :lol:

Anyway, keep up the good work, the fun stuff isn't far off.

Thanks

Ian :lol: