Spitfire I Update

Gary

Hi,

Here's where I stand on my Spitfire I build. It's into the final stages, thanks to the guidance received on the HobbyDecal transfer question. Lots left to do, but it's pretty much all tweaky bits now: canopy, antenna mast, weathering and so on.

post-2766-1186416575.jpg

post-2766-1186416596.jpg

Any constructive comments/suggestions will be most welcome. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Gary :)

Hi, Rob,

This is an early edition of the old Airfix 1/24th Spitfire I. I bought it when I was in Germany in 1987 (ex-Army). I built it to a point back then, but got disenchanted due to the messy way it was turning out. However, I kept it around, and decided to resurrect it last year, now that I have learned a few things in the last 20-odd years. Here's what it looked like when I started last year:

post-2766-1186418636.jpg

Good luck with your Spitfire project! :)

Cheers,

Gary

A very nice model indeed Gary.

And now for a little soapbox editorial.

While many tend to bash the old Airfix kits/heap praise on anything new, I find that, in many ways, these old kits are better than the newer ones emerging in 1/24 scale. Indeed, it amazes me that the newer Spit, Mustang and Hurricane kits did not capitalize on the strong points found in these older Airfix kits. The Airfix's Spitfire's biggest detractions were the rudimentary engine and lack of wheel well detail. Fortunately, the engine found in Airfix's Hurricane is gorgeous and far superior to anything currently offered in newer Spit & Hurricane kits, and can easily be adapted to the old Spit model. As for the wheel wells, a little plastic card can correct Airfix's omission. Add to this Eduard's new RAF colour etch seatbelts some plumbing and other odds-and-sods to the engine compartment, additional cockpit detail and a few other items from your already plundered Hurricane (eg. machine guns, empty cartridge ejector chutes, gas cap) and you are well on your way to a first rate model as Gary has aptly demonstrated here.

Again, very nice work.

Fine-looking Spitfire, Gary, really nice. What paints did you use? And for what it's worth, I agree with grizly, these old "superscale" kits - the Spit certainly - are head and shoulders above more recent offerings.

Cheers, Jean

I must echo the comments of Jean. Gary this is one beautifully neat and tidy Spitfire mate. I am building one of these kits as well (have been for about 2 years it seems :) ) and I strongly doubt it's going to look anywhere near as good as what this does. Brilliant stuff, thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Ango

Gentlemen, All,

Thank you very much for your very kind comments. I have had quite an enjoyable time resurrecting this model and, apart from the Eduard belts, have done almost everything Grizly mentions (my tape seatbelts were in before the Eduard set came available).

I use Xtracolor almost exclusively, and that is what is on the Spitfire. The only paint not Xtracolor is the roundel/gunport patch red, which comes from White Ensign Models. The roundel white, by the way, is toned down with a smidge of black: in it's original shade, it just looked TOO white! All of the national markings, squadron codes, and serial number are airbrushed. I cut the roundel masks from frisket paper, and had the codes and serial masks prepared commerically by Chris Loney at EZ Masks. The stencilling comes from HobbyDecal, as I am sure you know from my earlier plaintive cry for help!

Thanks again for your very supportive comments. I will post a few photos when X4107 is complete.

Cheers!

Gary