Revel F-14B conversion

blackbetty

the pics show a pretty sharp border between the upper and lower surface colours on 161860, so i masked it off and sprayed accordingly

i also drilled the hole for the stabs to fit in and the side developed a royal crack :angry:

never do that after the paintjob :)

thank god the stabilator is right over it and you cant see after mounting it B)

post-2020-1188888151.jpg

next i did the exhausts

since the interior of the revell kit is unusable (wrong engine type and much too short because the rear stabs are movable and the connection between the two - a cross formed plastic rod - is in the way) and the teknics set just provides the nozzles of the GE 110 engines, i had to think of something else

i wanted to use the burnerrings (dont know if thats the correct term) of the academy F-16 (parts E6 and E20), since these are leftovers if you build an F-16 with the P&W engines, but numerous attempts here and on ARC came up empty.

so i cheated :ph34r:

i took a strip of paper in the correct width (depth of the burnercans) and made light and heavy lines with my fineliner, then airbrushed some black streaks on

post-2020-1189066908.jpg

the steelring fits like a glove over the paperpipe - this is the endresult

i now just have to paint the nozzle and insert them into the fuselage

if i am able to get the academy parts i can still install them, but i dont think they will look as good

any thoughts?

karl

post-2020-1189067436.jpg

hi

not much progress this weekend :)

but i managed to paint the nozzles white inside (to be accented with black or tamiya smoke, gonna try both)

and with a mix of alclad pale gold and MM metalizer aluminum on the outside

i made a small template out of brass to be able to cut little masks for each turkeyfeather :P

post-2020-1189405205.jpg

then, while looking at reference material, it appeared to me that the walkways arent really all that black on VF-32 aircraft, moreso that they dont have borders between the fields and look like painted in one piece.

so i broke out the masking tape again and sprayed them a mix of black and gunship grey that is more to my liking

post-2020-1189405693.jpg

on a side note, the package with the sidewinder launchrails from meteor showed up (there was a screwup in the adress that seems to be my fault, thats why it took so long) that also contained the F-15 turkeyfeatherless eyhaust for my bunkerbuster strikeeagle. so now i´m able to use the leftover kitparts to finnish my "stalled projects" revell F-15D entry. hope that doesnt make the tomcat a stalled project....

i´ll keep you posted

karl

more painting on little parts:

LANTIRN pod. i only have found one pic showing 161860 in combat (in the osprey hornet book) and there it has a multicoloured pod (gunship grey and FS 36375), this happened when different parts on pods were swapped to keep as many as possible operational (so i read somwhere). on mentioned photo i cant make out the number that was painted on the pods airintake, so i will use a "14", a podnumber i have seen on the aircraft (allthough in overall gunship grey)

post-2020-1189490025.jpg