Brewster Buffalo -Special Hobby

AEROPOXY

I'm always short with the time to build the kits, so i learn to build few kits simultaneously, so, i started this Brewster Buffalo from Special Hobby, together with Hansa Brandenburg W-20 and 1/32 scale carrier deck tractor, ( see the topics for these kits in Member Builds).

I just checked the completness of kit parts and will start the work on this kit tonight, will be made out of box, with standard paint scheme supplied with this kit.

ResizeofBuffalo_001.jpg

ResizeofBuffalo_005.jpg

ResizeofBuffalo_003.jpg

ResizeofBuffalo_002.jpg

ResizeofBuffalo_004.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, here is some pics of Buffalo build process. Lost some time transfering all the pics from old to new PC and arranging them to post it here.

Starting with cockpit details, good, clean parts, easy to clean and assemble,

Buffalo-001.jpg

Buffalo-003.jpg

Buffalo_006.jpg

Buffalo_012.jpg

And P&W engine,

Buffalo-004.jpg

Buffalo-005.jpg

Buffalo_007.jpg

And gun compartment,

Buffalo_011.jpg

Fuselage -cockpit sprayed in aluminium(Revell 99)

Buffalo_014.jpg

Buffalo_013.jpg

and one coat of water diluted Rotring black draughtsman's ink,

Buffalo_015.jpg

and cleaned with cotton swab

Buffalo_016.jpg

to achieve a discrete structure details accented,

Buffalo_019.jpg

Fuselage assembled,instro panel details,need some drybrashing and Future wash .

Buffalo_020.jpg

Buffalo_021.jpg

Buffalo_022.jpg

Hi Aeropoxy

It looks really nice. You did not have to add any extra stuff to make it look good. I have the new P-39 kit from these guys and it looks the same. I do not think that I would have to add very much of anything extra to make it look nice. Also instead of taking months, like my current Revell P-40E, I think that I will be able to do this relatively quickly OOB. How do you like the OOB detail on your Buffalo?

And todays update of Buffalo build.

Sanded, polished and rescribed fuselage details,

Buffalo_30_resize.jpg

Glued wings and tailplanes,

Buffalo_31_resize.jpg

Minor filler intervention is need on horisontal stabiliser-fuselage join lines,

Buffalo_32_resize.jpg

Looks good so far!

One question, admitting I don't know much about Buffaloes, but are there different colors inside the wheel wells in this one and in the ones with bluegrey/lightgrey scheme at Midway? Pics I've seen shows light grey. Also (while I'm at it) is the color on top of the IP black?

Azgaron

Hi,

Buffalo will be in boxart presented-Yellow wings scheme (see top of this topic), and instruction says aluminium cockpit,yellow zinc chromate engine and undercarriage compartment.

Have no idea about bluegrey/lightgrey Midway scheme .

Yellow-wing F2A-1s and F2A-2s had aluminium laquer wheel wells, same color as the fuselge color.

F2A-3s in the overall light gray and blue-gray over light gray scheme had light gry wheel wells.

For anyone building the 1/32 Trumpeter F4F-3s and -4s, the same "formula" is applicable.

BW

I hope this weekend will finish this bird,

Canopy was masked and some putty applied at windskrin base, there is a gap of some 1mm, in fact, whole canopy is problematic, not so good fit, some where is too wide, and on some places too narrow, so, some trimming/sanding and some putty is necessary.

For small cracks/gaps i use automotive acrylic putty, not regular modeling putty.This "Lechler Spat-O-Rapid" is fast setting, fine grade putty.

Bufallo_finish1_resize.jpg

Then i masked canopy frames, first vertical, and after spraying with aluminium ( Revell 99) and drying, will do the same in horisontal way. After this, some final touch with fine pointed brush will be done.

Bufallo_finish2_resize.jpg

Its time for wings, Trainer yellow, mixed from Revell Lufthansa Yellow-semi gloss and Lemon yellow, gloss paint.

Bufallo_finish3_resize.jpg

here is the first part of paint job, yellow was sparayed over the wings and tailplane.

Bufallo_finish4_resize.jpg

And just a shot of prop blade matt black spraying, yellow wing tips will follow,

Bufallo_finish5_resize.jpg

So,thats all for now, hurry to see F1 qualifications at BELGIUM | Spa-Francorchamps,while the yellow paint dries.

Updated, KIMI was fastest today,

Kimmi_Raikonen_Ferrari.jpg